35

The winter solstice celebration arrived quicker than expected. Winter days in ancient China were not as intense as winter days in my country, and so I coped with it far better. Many times, Hua Er had asked me how I am so immune to the cold. It felt like only a day had passed since the rooftops were lightly coated with snow, and the pregnancy of Su Yin was just recently announced. Currently, Su Yin stayed in her residence most of the time and rested, similarly to Dong Mei's routine. I was busy as well and had no time to see her because I was running errands for the Empress Dowager. I barely had interactions with anyone outside of my chamber. The Emperor did not visit me that often. He spent his time visiting Dong Mei and Su Yin which caused the inevitable envy in the rest of us. 

         I couldn't help but also feel peeved by the whole thing. It had me thinking about if I could ever have the Emperor's baby. What would've happened if I lost my virginity in an ancient era? If I came back, would I still be a virgin? Would I take my child with me? I doubt I could. The Emperor would've had full custody over my baby. 

         What am I even thinking? I scrunched up my nose in disgust and continued to apply more blush onto the apples of my cheeks. I stared at myself and analyzed my neck. The scar had already faded. The irregular train of thoughts sped away. I smiled. My maids were busy doing my hair to perfection, and Hua Er, well she was sprawled on my bed. There was no time to be upset over things right now. I was safe and fine here. The period of isolation has done well for me. Running errands and helping the Empress Dowager has distracted me from the messy thoughts running around in my mind.

        "Milady?" Guan Shu asked, tapping my shoulder.

         "Huh? Yes?" I exclaimed. My mind was still on about the Emperor's child. 

        "Are you excited?" she repeated.

        After applying my lipstick with the tinted red paper, I focused my eyes on the magnificent beauty in the mirror. 

         Me. 

        My hair was almost ready. Half of my hair was up in a beautiful headpiece I've never worn before. It was silver and lustrous with pieces dangling off it. I glowed. I nodded my head and let my hand drop slowly after touching my hair. "Yes... I am excited." This would look good for me. The Emperor and his family will be there. His siblings from different regions of this nation will sit in my presence, and I will try my hardest to impress them. Not like I cared for the Emperor's family, but I need to give a good first impression. That was all.

        A small knock alerted my maids and Chen Xi hurriedly went to see who it was. I was greeted by two smiling maids that I didn't recognize. They kneeled and greeted me, to which I responded by telling them to get up. My four maids moved back to give them some space. "What brings you two here?" I asked distractedly, still admiring myself in the mirror.

        "You all can leave, the Emperor had told us to take charge for this occasion," one of the maids with a duller expression, gave a simple smile to Guan Shu. She turned to me. "Your lady-in-waiting can head to the banquet now."

         Hua Er groaned and jumped up from the bed. She yawned and looked the maids up and down. "I am required to go with her." Me, in the mirror, was so gorgeous but I soon turned my attention to the two maids to the side of me. They looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on them now that I saw them up close. They must be palace maids that did the morning duties. I watched my maids leave my chamber before I peeked at Hua Er's face. "It's okay. Hua Er, you can take your leave."

          Hua Er eyed the maids before she left.

        "Milady, we are here to give you your attire for this evening," the timid maid spoke quietly. She had a pretty butterfly pin on her hair. "I will get it for you right now."