76

Summer went by very fast and now it was almost autumn. One more month and I can go home. It was happening fast now. For once, I wish it went slower. I spent a lot of time living freely and lavishly, and now it was going to go away.

        I was working minimum wage before I came here. Now, I was a literal empress. That was so cruel to me. The universe gave me a short life of luxury just so I can go back without it. Wasn't that harsh?

        It was a year from now. It was almost my anniversary of being here. I remembered Lei Shu and Hua Er eyeing me from head to toe, looking at me with curiosity in their eyes. I remembered entering the Palace in such excitement, only to learn that I would lose people close to me. It was a harsh reality. It was not a dream. 

        Nothing here was dream-like. If it was a dream or a coma, I felt as if I would wake up by now. The collision wasn't as bad as other car accidents out there. I should survive... unless this was supposed to be the afterlife.

        Cherry came into my mind. I wondered what she was doing. Was she still crying? Was she still trying to find me? Did my family give up on trying to find me? 

        I couldn't stop my mind from wandering endlessly. I needed a distraction but there was nothing I could do. Finding my way back home was very important to me. 

        "Your Majesty," Blue and the other maids rushed and kneeled. They kowtowed to me. 

        I immediately blinked away my thoughts. I sat up from my throne. "Speak."

        "Consort Tan has given birth!" Blue announced.

        "Prince?" I asked, hoping that it wasn't. The Emperor had a choice into choosing who the crown prince was, but I didn't want more competition for Su Yin. Su Yin was about to give birth very soon, and I hoped it was a son. 

        I hated to think like that. The sexism was crawling up behind me but I still hoped that Su Yin is the mother of the crown prince. It was the best for her and me. 

        Blue shook her head. "No. She gave birth to a beautiful princess."

        "Good," I nodded my head and stepped down. Li Shu took my hand gently as I walked past my maids, all their heads pressed against the ground except for Blue. "You may all get up now. Come with me to visit Consort Tan."

        "Yes, Your Majesty. Thank you, Your Majesty," they said in unison, gracefully getting up to follow behind me. 

        When I reached Consort Tan's chamber, I met the Emperor's eyes. He gave me a solemn nod and stood back for me to see the baby. I hated seeing babies when they initially leave the womb. They were always wrinkly and ugly. I give them a few weeks before they actually look cute.

       The rest of the people in the chamber gave me a deep bow.

        Consort Tan tried to greet me. She raised her upper body but I stopped her immediately. She looked tired.

        I smiled. "You've given birth. You need time to rest right now."

        Consort Tan reciprocated the smile. A very worn-out, tired smile, but it was still adequate to make me like her. I've barely spoken to her. She was never loud or annoying. I liked her for that. She always minded her business and stayed with herself. 

        Motherhood is sacred, very sacred. Women were powerful with the ability to be nurturing and caring for their offsprings. I admired women who gave birth. It takes strength and courage to go through nine to ten months in discomfort and pain. It takes even more strength to push the child out.