48

"Sister, you got your title back and," Chang Ying stopped to give me a reassuring pat on my shoulder. "Chen Xi was executed a few hours ago."

        Although Chen Xi betrayed me, it still stung to know that she no longer served me. Or was no longer able to serve me. I developed a certain uncomfortable feeling about her. I told my maids to never bring up her name again. 

         A part of me knows that she'll forever be in my memory. She had to do what she had to do, and I couldn't blame her for her priorities. But I don't think I'll forgive her.

        The Emperor attempted to visit me, but I told him I needed time. I did plan on seeing him. It was like my slight interest in the Emperor vanished, but circulated in thin air like a cloud forming above my head. He had done this to me twice and it would take a while to fully recover from this, but the person who needed me now was Guan Shu. After days of grief and sorrowful tears, she finally lifted herself back up. She hasn't fully recovered yet; the death of a loved one takes years to overcome, but I was proud that she didn't let Rong Er's death impede her services.

         Chang Ying had her arm around me, leaning closer to my face. "I hope you're not too upset that that maid is gone..."

        Before I could answer, Guan Shu quickly stood up to adjust my hairpins. She faced both of us in glee. "I'm just happy that both of you, and Su Yin were keen enough to successfully get everything back to normal again."

         "Thank you, Guan Shu," Chang Ying nodded before clasping her hand between Guan Shu's hand. "And I am sorry for the loss of Rong Er. It must be very hard for you, isn't it?"

        "Yes," Guan Shu whispered, still holding onto the glee on her face but it started to fade. "I'm getting better, Your Grace." 

          "Milady, would you like some tea?" Feng Xi lowered the tray in front of me, shakingly putting it down on the table. 

           She was my replacement maid. Another person to replace Chen Xi. Hopefully, this one doesn't end up betraying me. She stood five feet tall with a casual frown on her face most of the time. Feng Xi was timid, never speaking up and she fearfully introduced herself the first time. My maids except for Guan Shu and Chen Xi, tend to treat me like I was a terrorizing monster. Feng Xi was way off from Chen Xi.

          I shouldn't have been upset. I know I shouldn't be at all, but Chen Xi was an entertaining woman. She betrayed me—I was literally stuck in the Cold Palace for days. 

         Yet I still missed her presence. 

          Turning away my thoughts, I cleared my throat before sipping the freshly brewed tea. It warmed me up so quickly that my negative thoughts dissolved. It was quite early in the morning. It was only a few minutes ago that I was greeting the Empress.

          The Emperor would have had his court meetings during this hour. If I took a small walk in the gardens, I don't think I'd see anyone—especially the Emperor. 

         I eyed myself closely in the mirror. This was not the woman a day ago. The fresh, glowing appearance, the cleanliness, the elegance, the adornment, and the beautiful attire I was now possessing, was finally me. God forbid that I go through all of that again. 

          It was not only the appearance that I missed, but I did miss my maids. I did miss Su Yin and Chang Ying. There was no doubt that I would rather face Niu Lin every day than stay in the Cold Palace for another week. That's how bad it was. The only thing that I missed in the imprisonment was the company of Jaxon. I had that every day. It was far too easy for him to sneak in. He stayed away from the spotlight and didn't join the army that fought every other week in this place.