Chapter 5 : Journey

It has been a few days since the Switchblades left Whole Cake Island. Their ship, the Dark Keepsake, floats across the ocean, without a goal what means, the crew gets time off. Because of that, everyone is on deck, besides Baal, Soma and Tsunade. Baal is in his office while Tsunade watches over Soma, who is still recovering. Being slammed against the wall by Baal might have helped him mentally, but surely not physical. Actually, Baal made things worse and now he feels guilty. Yet, a small smile creeps onto his face as he sees the golden box in his office.

-

Flashback

Baal sits in his office late at night, going over some numbers.

Baal : At least our finances are nothing I have to worry about. I have enough on my mind already...

Someone knocks on his door, much to the young captain's surprised that someone is still up.

Baal : It's open.

Soma limps into the room with a bandage covered in blood and the clear sign of pain on his face. In his hand, the Devil Fruit.

Soma : You're an asshole, Captain! You know that?

Baal just stays quiet.

Soma : You make it seem like I'd cheat if I eat this. But you ate a Devil Fruit! So did Gil, Shiro, Reiner and also Erza!

Baal stands up, walks around his table and leans against it, looking directly at Soma.

Baal : Gil ate the fruit and developed a God complex, Reiner was meant to be a weapon, Erza got fed a fruit to see her explode and I was forced to eat one. And Shiro... You know that yourself.

Soma stays quiet, while still glaring at Baal, who then smiles at his cook.

Baal : I know that look, Soma. Put it in the golden box to your right.

Without saying anything else, Soma puts the fruit away. He then looks at Baal again, determination written all over his face.

Soma : You'll see, Captain! I'm gonna be strong enough to protect you and everyone else on this ship!

Baal walks towards Soma and puts a hand on the red-head's shoulder, while looking directly in his eyes.

Baal : I know you will. I... We believe in you, Soma!

He then pulls Soma into a hug and although Soma feels the pain from his stab wound hitting him, he still doesn't dare to move away. Then, Baal smacks him over the head, what surprises Soma. He looks up to see Baal having tears in his eyes. At this moment, Soma can't move from the shock. It's only the second time he saw Baal cry. The captain quickly looks away.

Baal : We have to wake up Tsunade because you couldn't stay down, idiot.

He let's out a single chuckle.

Baal : Now I have to listen to her complaining again... great.

He walks past Soma, preventing any eye contact from happening. Soma still hasn't moved from the shock.

Soma : Baal...

-

Baal takes on last look at the golden box with the Devil Fruit inside, then looks at his table again.

Baal : This idiot really grows on you.

He chuckles, but stops when he hears something from outside.