38: On The Run

No amount of worrying can change the future.

"Lex...Lex get up!" I hear Austin as he shakes me awake. I open my eyes, startled.

"Wh-what's going on?" I ask, wiping the sleep from my eyes.

"Get dressed. We have to go."

"Where are we going?" I ask, looking out the window and seeing that the sun hasn't even risen yet.

"I'm not sure yet, but we have to go. I'll explain on the way," he says, throwing a random outfit at me and heading out the bedroom door. He stops himself. "You haven't unpacked yet, right?"

"Um, no?"

"Good. I'll put your things in the car and get Claire ready. Be quick."

I was confused on so many levels, but I did as I was told. I wanted to know what was wrong. Why is Austin so frantic? He's never this stressed. Ever.

I throw on an outfit from my still packed suitcase. Nothing fancy. Jeans and a hoodie. I braided my hair to the side and didn't bother with makeup, thinking I didn't have time. I zip up my bag and wheel it into the living room while I brush my teeth quickly. I felt like I was forgetting something.

 Austin kept glancing out the window nervously and checking his phone constantly. I decided I should check my room again just to be sure I wasn't overlooking anything...

"Come on, we have to go!" Austin says as he looks out the window again. He picks up Claire and grabs me by the wrist, not even giving me a chance to protest. I still felt I was forgetting something. Ugh. I hate this feeling.

Austin rushed us to the car and drove off, burning rubber in the process. "What is wrong?" I ask, getting fed up with this mystery reason for us bolting.

"He's following us. The police tracked him and he's traveling through the states. He's been to New Mexico, Arizona, and now he's reached San Diego. He's almost reached us. The police called and let me know, saying they're doing everything to stop him. They're chasing him down and told us to run in case he reaches us before they do."

"Well where are we running to?!" I ask, officially freaked out now.

"I was thinking Nevada."

"How does he know where to find us?!"

Austin gives me a look. "Sis, you're famous. Get used to it." I roll my eyes. "We're going to be fine. Half your fans still think you're in London. The other half probably won't know that we're leaving right now. It's going to be okay. We're going to be okay," he assures me. I lean back and sigh.

"I don't care where the fans think I am! I care where the freaking killer thinks I am!" I put my head in my hands and hear Claire whimper from the backseat. I sigh and look back at her. She looked sad and lost. I gave a smile. "It's going to be fine Claire. You're safe." My words didn't seem to help.

I wish I had Niall right now. I would feel a hell of a lot safer.

***Niall’s Point of View***

"Mate, you okay?" Harry asks me, looking worried. I take my head out of my hands and nod.

"I'm...okay."

"Lies," Louis mutters under his breath.

"I just don't feel like they're safe. Even over there in Cali. I want to protect Alexis. I keep getting this feeling like something's wrong..." I admit, running my fingers nervously through my hair.

"You're probably just paranoid. We're worried too. She would call you if something was wrong," Zayn assures me. I sigh. I guess he's right.

"I miss her," I say in a scratchy voice. Was it obvious I'd been crying earlier? Probably. Liam claps a hand on my shoulder.

"We know, buddy. We know."

***Lexi’s Point of View***

I played with my fork as we waited for the waitress to greet us. I stared into my glass of water watching the ice cubes bob up and down. The plaid table cloth was giving me a headache, and the low playing country music was enough to make me scream.

"We couldn't find any other place to eat?" I complain grouchily.

"Not unless you wanted to wait for another thirty miles."

I roll my eyes and rip my napkin into tiny little pieces.

"Hello darlins! What can I get y'all today?" the waitress asks us in a happy, energetic, too-up-for-morning voice.

"Coffee," I reply shortly, turning back to ripping up my napkin. She jots it down on her pad.

Austin and Claire order as I pull out my phone. No signal. Ugh. Today sucks. My hand flies to my chest where my necklace usually sits. It's something I do when I'm having a really awful day. It comforts me.

A feeling of panic floods through me as I realize it's not there. I think back and retrace my steps in my mind. Where had I last seen it? Think, Alexis, think! Goddammit.

Last night I took it off before bed....I set it on my bedside table....this morning I got up and got dressed.....then, I put it on, right? Wait, no. That's wrong. I must have forgotten it in my rush to leave. I gasp and look up to Austin who was staring at me curiously. I feel my eyes sting.

"A-Austin..." I stutter out.

"Yes?"

"We have to go back."

AUTHORS NOTE
Well for flucks sake lexi you really screwed up this time. what do you think austin will say? do you think he'll turn back or not? ;) vote and find out! comment your guesses (: thank you on 530+ fans, 1,000+ votes on this story, AND on almost 60,000 reads!!! like when i saw that i did a happy dance around my house and nearly fell down the stairs XD thank you like soooooooo much! You have noo idea how much it means to me(: thank you!!!! byeee poptarts<33