1: Say Cheese

Just because someone smiles all the time doesn't mean their life is perfect. That smile is a symbol of hope and strength. Behind it is a world of pain.

“Mommy, Mommy! Can you please read me a story before bedtime?” I ask in my little four year old voice.

“Of course sweetie. Which one do you want me to read you?”

“The one about how everyone lives happily ever after!” Mommy chuckles.

“But Lexi, they all end like that!” she says, ruffling my blonde hair. I smile and giggle.

“I know. Does that stuff happen in real life, Mommy?” I ask, cocking my head to the side curiously. Mommy’s smile fades and she gives me a sympathetic look.

“Baby that is something that you will learn when you’re all grown up.”

My eyes shoot open and I sit up in bed. It’s still dark outside. I rub my eyes and sigh. I get out of bed and walk down the stairs to the kitchen. I fill up a glass of water and take a few sips when I hear footsteps. I turn around and see Austin standing in the doorway. “Another dream about Mom?” he asks me. I nod and feel the tears sting my eyes. I try not to let them fall. Crying isn't really my thing. He walks over and hugs me. “It’s okay. Shh…” he comforts me.

“I wish that day never happened,” I say angrily. I remember it perfectly clear as if it was just yesterday. I think about that day all the time.

Jake had taken me out on a date. We just pulled up to my house and I got out of his car. “See you tomorrow babe. I love you.” he says to me through the car window. I smile.

“I love you too. Goodnight.” I kiss his lips through the open window before I turn to keep walking.

“Wait,” I hear him say. He gets out of the car. “Are you sure anyone’s home? It looks really dark.” I look at the house and see that he’s right. All the lights are out.

“Well…I’m sure everyone’s just sleeping.”

“It’s only seven,” he points out, checking the time on his phone.

“My parents said they’d be home though. Austin's probably still out, but my sister and my parents should be here.”

“How about I walk you to the door just to be sure?” I nod and take his hand. He’s the best. Always looking to protect me from harm. I can tell that he truly cares about me, even though I haven’t had much boy experience. Jake is my first real boyfriend, but we’re both sure that one day we’ll get married. We love each other that much.

I go to unlock the door and see that it’s already open. “Hello?” I call through the house. I hear the sound of glass breaking and the unmistakable noise of someone screaming. I look at Jake, terrified. He looks worried and jumps in front of me. We follow the sound of the noise.