3: Wishing On A Shooting Star

When all you want to do is cry you can't give up. You have to swallow your tears, stand up on your own two feet, and show the world how strong you really are.  

I close the door to my car and walk into Starbucks. I had on a simple three-quarter-sleeve teal sweater with a charcoal colored scarf around my neck. I had on my black booties and a pair of dark skinny jeans. I wear skinny jeans often, in case you haven't realized. My charcoal beanie was fixed on my head and of course my silver necklace was around my neck like it always is.

 I grab Claire's hand as we cross the street. I stand in line and look around the store. No sign of Niall. I check the time on my clock. I was right on time. It was 12:01 when I walked in. Maybe he meant a different Starbucks. Maybe I should just-

"Hey," I hear a familiar voice say from behind me, interrupting my thoughts. I turn around and see Niall along with four other familiar faces smiling at me. I smile back.

"Hey."

He brought his friends. Good. At least he didn't think it was a date. Just friends, I remind myself. I see them all glance at Claire.

"Oh, uhm, this is Claire. My little sister," I introduce. She gives a shy smile and hides behind my leg. "Come on Claire. Don't be shy," I say, moving out of the way so she can say hello.

"Hey there Claire! How old are you?" Louis asks excitedly.

"I'm four years old," she says proudly.

"Wow! You're old," he says, making her giggle. I smile. Louis takes Claire back to the table with Harry, Zayn, and Liam while I get my coffee. Niall stays with me so I'm not all alone.

"Your sisters cute," Niall says, watching as she laughs at something Harry said. I smile. "She looks kind of like you."

"Well we're siblings after all," I say, smiling at her from across the store.

"Yeah. Did she want to come for some reason?" he asks curiously.

"Nah. She couldn't stay home alone so I just brought her along."

"Oh. Your parents work on weekends?" he asks, obviously just curious. I hide the emotions that question triggers.

"No. They're just...not home," is all I answer, smiling at him like nothing is wrong. He gives me a weird look, but doesn't say anything else. I get my coffee and walk back to the table behind Niall. I need something to pick me up today. I usually feel like that, given I'm a daily Starbucks customer.

"So what should we do?" Zayn asks.

"I honestly don't mind. Whatever you guys feel like doing," I say, sipping my coffee.

"CAN WE GO TO THE PARK?" Claire asks me, her wide eyes filled with hope. I smile and nod.