Chapter Twelve

The time has come. *cue dramatic music* 

Enjoy!

Four years ago

(Flashback continued)

"Come on my Bella, it's been 2 weeks. You've got to have forgiven me by now!" Adri yelled from outside my room as he banged on the door with his fists.

It was seven in the morning and I was not a morning person.

"Go away!" I shrieked at him.

He was quiet for a minute before I heard his footsteps moving away. I heaved a sigh of relief as I went back to sleep.

However, as soon as I said that, I heard the sound of keys and before I knew it, he was using it to open my door before I had time to stop it. Alright, he was smart, I give him that. But there was no way I was going to forgive him until he apologised.

Adri made his way onto my bed and snuggled next to me. He circled his arms around me and brought me closer to him. 

“What do I have to do to make you talk to me again?” He asked. 

I ignored him and pretended I was still asleep but being him, he could tell straight away. “I know you’re awake my Bella, I can tell from your breathing.”

“Say you’re sorry and that you won’t do it again.” I muttered. 

He released a huge puff of annoyance at my words. “Anything but that! You know everything I did was for your own good. I haven’t done anything wrong so I’m not going to say sorry. I’m trying to protect you my Bella.”

Frustrated, I turned around to face him. “No what you did was not trying to protect me Adri. I am 13 years old, old enough to know what to do on my own. You can’t stick your nose into everything even if you are my best friend. I know you care about me but what you did is too much, it’s too possessive. I am not your toy, Adri. I appreciate you worrying and caring for me but I am capable of taking care of myself. You need to learn to let go. If you keep me by your side all the time, what I am going to do when you’re gone. Who is going to protect me then? I need to learn to be independent on my own. I need to make mistakes, cry and get over it, coming out of it stronger and more resilient. This is my life, you have to let me live it!” 

All my frustrations came tumbling out of my mouth as I told him exactly how I felt. After my outburst, I could honestly say that this was the first time I had seen Adrian speechless. He looked at me with his mouth open and his eyes wide, as if he finally understood. 

Did he?

“I…” He started. 

The answer must be no. Exasperated, I groaned and fell back onto my bed with a thud. “Forget it. Just go away Adri.”