Chapter Seventeen

4 years ago

"If you had to choose between me and Adrian, who would you choose?" Dar asked casually, flipping through the magazine as she laid on bed.

"Why would you ask that?" I treaded carefully on the tightrope.

"It's just a question," she answered nonchalantly but I knew her well enough to know that it was more than just a question. Way more.

"I would choose both of you." I answered firmly.

"You have to choose between one," she sighed. "What if one day, some bad guy came and caught us both, who would you pick to save if you could only save one?"

Laughing, I replied, "Adri wouldn't let any of you get caught."

"I just said 'what if', don't you have any imagination?" She scowled.

"Dar," I sighed. "Look, if that ever happened, I would give myself up so that both of you would be saved. Because you both mean so much to me I could never let anything happen to you. It's unfair of you to ask me who I would choose because you guys mean the world to me, I wouldn't be able to live without any one of you, including Chase."

"Fine, though you're still not answering the question." She sighed dramatically, though I was pretty sure she was hiding one of her satisfied smiles.

Shaking my head, I returned to my work.

//

Present

My head was spinning as my brain tried to digest everything that just happened. How could everything change in such a short span of time. It must have been while I was too busy worrying about myself, I thought bitterly, because that was all I seemed to do since I came home. Since when did I turn so self-centred? I scolded myself.

"Belle, my Bella." Adri's voice was surprisingly calm and gentle.

He held my face in his hands softly and I couldn't help but lean into them.

Everything's going to be alright. And it is not your fault. We could never have known what they were planning behind our backs. That is what we have always been prepared and training for, isn't it? I trust our pack, don't you? Adrian wisely chose to speak to me through out mind link.

I knew it wasn't the right time but my brain automatically zoned in on the word our. Shaking my head to clear those useless thoughts away. I had to focus on saving my parents and Darlene.

I do, but this is different. He mentioned that someone was watching me, that means he must have a spy in our pack! We can't let everyone know what's going on. I knew this was the last thing any Alpha would want to know but there was no choice. We had to go about this behind the pack, or risk losing four lives. Scrap that, five lives. Without them, I was nothing short of a living body without a soul. I couldn't live without them.