Chapter 12 : Jar of Lights

Chapter Twelve: Jar of Lights

Arron was pretty forgiving about missing lunch with him, but he didn't believe that Dillion and I kept is platonic. It was the truth and I was sticking to it.

Suprisingly, Dillion actually met me at the nearby local library to start on our project. I didn't know a Culinary Arts class could be so demanding, but I was learning a lot.

We both decided on doing a PowerPoint since all you needed for that was a computer. Today was just to get the information started. We added some information to blank slides and filled out the bibliography. Next week I had tryouts for basketball and I don't know how much free time I would have to work on this; it was important to get the outline done.

Spending time with Dillion was getting less toxic when he actually took things seriously. He could work hard when he wanted to.

*

"I can't believe you got detention and from the first day of school! Should I be worrying?" Dad went on a car ride long rant about his expectations of me. I guess he was stricter because I was risking not only my scholarship but also the twin's enrollment.

At the end of the day, I didn't have to resort to violence to take down Million. "Sorry, it won't happen again." I just wanted to get this day over with.

"I know, you're a good girl." Gag.

He dropped me off in front of the school. I hope it's okay that I wore a tank and capris; a stiff uniform didn't seem right for janitorial duties.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I found Dillion talking to the custodian.

"I spoke to the Dean. I mean, I was the one who sicked Million onto you."

"Do you always clean up her messes?" This time more literally than figurative.

"I mean, you do anything for family, right? Anyway, this was all my fight." Dillion taking responsibility. Well, that was new.

It was fair that she got off scotch free but better not to dwell on it.

"So, I'm Jack Daniels, no relation to the tasty liquor—err—I mean, drinking is bad." The custodian was a middle age guy with a poor sense of confidence, obviously.

"Good morning, Jack." I waved. "What do we have to do to leave?"

"Well, the Dean gave me a whole list of duties—"

Dillion interjected, "Mr. Daniels, Can I call you Jack?"

"Uhm, no."

"Well, Jack. This is end of the first week of school, rules were broken but the slate is still fresh. You don't want to look like the bad guy so early on, the other students will start to hate you. You will become the authoritarian."

"I'm just doing my job..."

"I get it, but the others might not." Dillion walked behind him, patting his shoulders. "I can totally see that you're a cool guy."

"I am! I finished all my challenges last month on Fortnite." Not the proudest thing to boast about.

"Again, I believe you." Dillion stepped in front of him, cocking his head to the side. "How about this. You can tell the Dean that we were both here, but I'll let it slip to the students that you were really cool today and let us slide. It will never get to the Dean. And," he slipped some bills into Jack's shirt pocket. "you'll be well compensated."