Chapter 11: Sike

Chapter Eleven: Sike

This was ridiculous, right? I mean, even Dillion said it; I did not trust Demetrius. Was I just setting myself up for failure? This really has been the most difficult week of my life.

I decided on my good Levi's; the only pair I had with no holes, and a sequenced tee. I mean, this was just dinner at his place.

He didn't live too far away from my house so I took my bike to his place. Dinner with his mom... Ms. Sheila Banks has tried her best to raise Demetrius on her own but the bottle had her nursing from its top.

She was a drunk.

Everyone had their own demons to fight, who was I to judge? Other than that, she was a really stand up lady. She never treated me ill, and from what I know, she never hurt Demetrius. Well, except for his pride. Its never a good look to have your mother ranting down the streets five AM in the morning.

"Char! Baby girl, it's been too long." She embraced me in a tight hug. "Don't you forget about me just because you go to that big old fancy school."

"Never." I hugged her back. "The house smells great, what did you cook?"

"Actually, Demetrius whipped something up." She hooked her arm with mine, leading me to the dining room. "I've never seen him be this gentlemanly."

If the boys heard about this, they would never let him live this down. We walked in as he just finished setting the plates on the table.

"Oxtails and black rice, impressive." The food smelled incredible, and the sauce from the meat laying over the rice was mouthwatering. "You didn't have to do all this."

"Just showing my girl that I'm all in." He smiled, pulling out a chair for me.

Their house may not be as big or eloquent as the Humphreys but I rather be here.

The table was small and round; we each sat a different part of it but were still close to each other. I felt his hand rub my thigh. "Thanks for coming."

"Ya'know Char, I never liked any of those little 'Miss Thangs' that he would sneak in when he thought I was asleep. You are exactly who he needs." She poured herself a glass of wine.

"Mom!" Demetrius gave her the eye, the eye that roughly translated to 'shut up'.

"What? It's true." She took a sip. "So, Char, what have you been up to?"

"Nothing much." I shrugged. "Trying to get used to the change of scenery.my school life has never been so... interesting."

Dinner was fine, Ms. Sheila was really on her best behavior. The food was great. He spoke about how he was usually the one who cooked dinner. It felt great being catered to for once.

"I'll do the dishes, you can hang." She winked as she started picking up the plates.

"C'mon." Demetrius took my hand, guiding me to his room. Again, it wasn't my first time in here, but there was a new energy to it. It felt weird, and a bit taboo.

"Sorry about my mom." He shook his head. "She promised she wouldn't drink."

"She was cool." I assured him. "Dinner was too. Who knew you could throw down like that?"

He laughed, rubbing his hands sinisterly. "It ain't nothing to a king."

"You royalty now?" I raised a brow.