Sparrow and Nightingale's

"Here it is," I said, stopping in front of the new art store. It was called Sparrow and Nightingale's. Cool. Reminded me of a TV show I have an unhealthy obsession with.

Mother gave me $50 to spend and kissed my forehead as she walked away. I plunged into the aisles of pencils (Pencils are important. If you aren't someone who draws, a pencil is just a pencil. But to me, a girl who lives off of sketches, the difference between a silver .5 mm lead pencil with iron grip and an eraser on the end or a Ticonderoga is life or death, okay?)

"Hey," someone says behind me.

"Mom!" I said, and hugged her. "I was worried."

"You and your mother, always worrying," she said affectionately, kissing the top of my head. I just reached her shoulders.

"Of course we worry. You're the Avatar."

"I'm the Avatar. You shouldn't worry."

"Mom. That's illogical. I don't need to remind you how many people want your head, simply for being the Avatar?"

"Akemi. That's illogical. I don't need to remind you that I'm master of all four elements, the first who carries Raava to Metalbend, and the only to fight Vatoo without Raava to help me?"

"I now understand why Mother says you are impossible to argue with."

"I'll tell you exactly what I tell Asami." She grinned.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm the Avatar, and you're gonna deal with it!"

"Stop quoting our toddler self," I said, rolling my eyes but smiling.

"But I'm awesome."

"Of course you are, you're the Avatar!"

"You remind me too much of Asami."

"Odd, she told me I was just like you about half an hour ago. When will you realize that you've raised me since I was six?"

"Dunno," Mom said. She handed me a couple of hundred dollar bills, winked, and walked off. That's Mom for you, spoiling me nonstop while Mother says we can't. However, Mom is the rule enforcer and Mother is the one to go to if you want a 'yes' for an answer.

I don't know how lucky I got to be their kid. I mean, two total badasses, and just a random nonbender kid who was reading and had a broken wrist when we first met, and was tripping over her words, why would they pick me? I don't know, but I am forever grateful.