(61): The Chambers

Kyle's POV.

"Where are you going?" RJ stops me in my tracks as I'm about to exit the hospital door.

"Home" I reply.

She sighs "Can I come with?"

"Why?" I utter, not hiding my annoyance. I don't know why I feel like this. Everything is literally annoying me; that stupid Jacob guy... RJ... Chelsea-Anne... everyone!

"We have to speak, Kyle" She coaxes.

"But we did"

"Not here. I know there's so much more that we both want to say but we obviously can't do it at a hospital" She pleas desperately.

I sigh defeated "Fine"

She offers me a triumphant smile and I just roll my eyes as I command for her to follow me to Winona's car. We get there and she enters on the passengers side.

"Who are you leaving your family with?" I ask her, eyes on the road.

"Monty said they'd be fine going back to the hotel without me. I think they still want to spend more time with Chels though"

Including that Jacob guy that's in love with her. He better not try things cause I'll really lose it. I never knew how territorial and possessive I was until I saw him speak and look at her. Even a blind man can see how he feels for her. I almost punched him.

"They're good people, Kyle" She suddenly says causing me to snap my eyes at her for a second in surprise and confusion.

Did I say something?

"What?"

"They're good people. You didn't exactly try to hide your distaste in the hospital room"

"I was surprised, Riley" I defend harshly "I didn't even know you were going to be there... let alone your new family"

She sighs deflated, shaking her head "Okay"

The rest of the ride is spent in a tense silence. We get to my apartment a few minutes later as I exit and she follows closely behind me. We enter my place and I just watch her.

"Nice place" She hums looking around.

"Thanks" I say curtly.

I sure do wish that it was Chelsea-Anne entering with me instead of her. Not in a rude way though, I just miss her being with me.

"Do you want anything?" I ask her.

She shakes her head "Uh, no thanks"

I shrug walking to the couch and she follows behind me before we both collapse on the same one.

"So..." I trail looking at her.

She looks nervous. She keeps avoiding my eyes and playing with her fingers. I'm nervous too, to be honest. I don't know what this conversation will lead to.

"Can I ask you something" She says softly and I nod "Were you- are you happy to see me?"

"Of course I am" I answer immediately.

"You don't look like it" She accuses in a tiny voice, her eyes mirroring a lot of hurt "I don't know... I just thought-"

"Thought what, Riley? I didn't exactly expect to see you just yet. I also don't know how to feel about this whole thing" I tell her tensely "You can't expect me to be all bubbly and smiley. Just months ago, I thought you were dead or something" I finish off sighing.

"I know, I know" She admits "Just- a lot has happened and I don't know..."

"Why!?" I bite, suddenly seeing red, as I clench my fists and jaw in anger and betrayal "Why didn't you tell me? So many years"