Chapter Thirty-Three

Third Person POV

Sans's Perspective

Sans adjusts himself on the couch when he sees (Y/N) answer his face call. Normally, he wouldn’t be calling someone right before his shift at school and much less would he bother looking decent for something like that --  It was the reason why he preferred texting and voice calls rather than this. He brushes those thoughts aside when he sees the human yawning against their palm and sporting a bed head. The human doesn't acknowledge him in spite of having answered, making him notice the reason behind that when they mutter unintelligible words under their breath, these along the lines of why had their alarm gone off earlier than intended to.

Humored, he stays quiet and decides not to hang up, seeing (Y/N) place the phone on the night table as they then begin to stretch their limbs. Their shirt rides up slightly when they do so, making him look away until they’re done stretching. It’s only when he sees they plan to change out of their night clothes that he hangs up, soul going a mile a minute when the screen goes black.

Chest rising and falling, the monster looks around the living room to see Papyrus from behind the kitchen isle, whipping up what smelled like buttered toast and fried eggs. The taller one acknowledges Sans when he sees him looking, unaware of the scare he had gone through -- It was a good thing he knew how to keep a cool exterior, no matter how dire the situation was.

Breathing out, Sans checks the time and decides it’s better to wait until the human finished their morning routine. Briefly, he wonders if Faust would be attending school today, given class was supposed to start in an hour and that (Y/N) was only just waking up. He finds some confront in the thought he had helped them in getting on time to both school and work, trying to distract his mind from the previous call.

Now half past eight, he decides to call again. This time, he's greeted by (Y/N) now with their hair brushed and sleep washed away from their face, though he can tell they're still at the hotel. The human is also in casual wear rather than in their usual work uniform, and he can hear Faust talking with another child from a distance. From his deduction, it really did seem like either (Y/N) had forgotten it was still Friday, or that they simply did not plan to go anywhere today.

"Good morning," they greet, grinning at him. For a moment, he thinks they're about to call him out on what happened an hour and a half before, but their next words ease the pace of his soul. "I don't know whether to thank you or be angry that you did all this for us."

"Looks to me like you're happy," Sans comments, looking around the school grounds to verify the students were all in class. "Is the kid doing okay?"

"He is," (Y/N) replies, nodding. "But I didn't bring him to school today. I feel like he's been through a lot, and. . . he doesn't want to talk about it with me. I'm thinking of bringing him to a counselor like the social worker suggested."

"That sounds good. But what about you? I know you were against stayin' there, but I figured it'd be the safest place for now."

"I'll manage." They accompany those words with a laugh, concern flashing in their expression not a second after. "It's you who I wanna have a word with -- Why did you pay for our stay?"

"What? Can't I treat you every once in a while? I might always ask Grillby to put it in my tab, but that doesn't mean I don't pay back -- Just like I'm doing with you."

"What are you even paying me back for?"

"For starters, you bought me clothes -- And now you're dealin' with the mayor about my sentence."

"That was a gift," (Y/N) mentions, frowning. "I'm not asking for anything back."

Abruptly, Sans stops seeing their face as the screen goes black. Hearing Faust's shrill voice confirms the call is still ongoing.

"I'm not talking with anybody!" (Y/N) exclaims, defense in their voice.

"Y- Yes, you are!" Faust retorts, tone weaker than his (mother/father)'s, but determined all the same. "You can't fool me! That's your boyfr-"

"Don't you dare say it!"

Sans chuckles at the banter the two have going on, Faust's voice persistent and unwavering as he accuses (Y/N) of not being honest with him. The background changes to a blurry motion of Faust running with the phone in hand. He can hear footsteps chase after the child, the sound of feet against wood casting rhythmic thumps all across the room.

"Got you!"

The background changes again as (Y/N) takes the phone back from Faust's hands. The child is nowhere to be seen now, though Sans can hear him huff and walk away from the room, the sound of a door closing following after. Only the older human is left as the background goes calm and the screen shows them fixing themselves up from the effects of the chase.

“Sorry about that,” they breathe out, passing a hand through their messy (h/c) hair, hoping it would be enough to tame it back to its previous state. “I keep telling him to wait, but he won’t listen -- The social worker gave me a warning about this happening. I. . . doubt she’ll be any happier when she knows what’s happened over the course of this week. But one thing's for sure, I can at least tell her he’s made more friends by staying here.”

“Wasn’t he talking with one of 'em before?” Sans asks, remembering the other voice he’d heard when making the call.

“He was -- The parents came over for a bit to talk, but then the friend stayed to hang out with Faust some more. I didn’t notice when she left, so I really didn’t think he’d come chasing after me like that.”

“Looks like he’s mad at you now,” the monster sneers, remembering the huff Faust let out before leaving the room. “You shouldn’t let this slip by.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” the human states, returning his laugh. “But you’re right -- I should go talk with him soon.”

Solemnity arrives on (Y/N)’s face when they say that. It’s not until then that Sans realizes there’s still a lot left to resolve before things could go back to a calm state. The banter between the two had been a good distraction from the monitor on his ankle, the newspapers dishing out updates about (Y/N)'s actions -- both in favour and against -- every single day, the prison breakout, the preparations for the move, and his recent confession. It was all too much for anyone to deal with. It was silly for him to think he was anywhere near close to asking (Y/N) out on a first date.

“I have to wait a week for the mayor’s response letter,” (Y/N) speaks up, facing him directly. “I. . . doubt it'll turn out like I hoped it would, but that won’t be the end of this. If Faust can keep up with this stuff, then I should, too. One way or another, I’m gonna get you out of that bracelet, and if you still like me by the time that happens. . . I wanna take you out on a date."

Hadn’t the monster been through that incident barely two hours ago, his roaming thoughts wouldn’t have immediately plummeted to that one (shoujo/shounen-ai) romance anime Alphys had made him watch one once. That simple idea of sharing a kiss beyond the cheek with (Y/N) was a wild, wild thought, but one he looked forward to nonetheless.