Chapter Thirty-Two, Part One

Sorry for the missed update yesterday!

One of my family members is sick, so I've been making changes in my IRL schedule to dedicate more time to that matter. I don't have closure as to what will happen yet, but I will try to keep uploading buffer chapters without making any major changes to my current publishing schedule.

"And his unkindness may defeat my life, but never taint my love.” – Othello, Act 4 | Scene 2

Dust flies when you take out your suitcase, a fit of sneezes taking over when you breathe in the stuffy air of the room. It had been long since you used the suitcase -- ten months having already passed since your move to the city. You still can’t bring yourself to believe you had spent almost a year here and that Faust was already finishing his second semester, just two weeks away from it being eight months since he started studying at Toriel’s school, and the same if you were to count the time you knew most of the monsters you befriended along the way.

You stop scavenging through your belongings when you hear your phone ring and feel it buzz in your back pocket. That was the third time it rang today since you woke up -- and it was still only ten in the morning. Word traveled fast with the newspapers announcing Jessie’s breakout from prison and their breakin into your home. Two days had passed since that incident, and you were wasting no time on getting out of the house as soon as possible. Not only did you fear for Faust’s safety, but you couldn’t sleep well at night without waking up every other hour, remembering Jessie on top of you.

“(Mom/Dad)?”

Faust emerges from behind the door, leading you to stop looking at your phone to face him. He looks scared to step into the storage room, though you smile to encourage him.

“Where are we going now? Do I have to switch schools again?”

“Of course not,” you reassure him, patting at the floor for him to sit next to you. “You can stay there ‘til graduation if you want, but we can’t stay here. You’ll be safe in school, but not in this house.” You face down at the suitcase, using a rag to wipe away the sheet of dust left on it. Faust helps you tidy up by taking his own suitcase, though you instruct him to cover his nose with a rag first before he got to helping you out further. “I’ll use our savings to find a safe place.”

Your phone rings again, this time a call rather than a message, and with Sans’s name showing up on screen. You try to cover it away from Faust’s hawk-like line of sight, all to no avail. He catches on quickly and lets a grin show on his face, goofy look enhanced by the way he nudges your shoulder.

“You should answer,” Faust suggests, hope reflecting on his face. “I bet it’s important.”

“What's gotten into you?” you ask, incapable of fighting back your smile. “And why should I?”

“Frisk said you met up with him on Monday.”