⚜️20 ⚜️

ELISe's PoV

In the silence of my room, I watched cars move along the busy New York streets. Up here, the sound of the cars was silenced but I desperately wished for some sound. The silence was pushing me back to my previous life, the life I adored before I was forced to leave it. I grabbed my phone and swiped through my gallery, till I came across his picture. And when I saw his goofy baby smile, I couldn't control my thoughts as they spiralled to how I first met the Antonios.

REMINISCING ~ 7 YEARS AGO

My favourite time of the year had arrived. Chilly evenings with flakes gracing our pathway, I felt like I was in frozen paradise. I rubbed my mittens together and huffed a breath. Christmas was a week away and I was looking forward to the gifts I was going to be showered with. Being an only child to Elena and Adrian Prayt, had its perks.My mother was a nurse at the local hospital and my father, a garage owner. Living in the busy streets of California, I helped my parents by babysitting.

I was returning from one of my favourite clients house, Ms. Anne. She was a single mother whose daughter I babysat. I stood on the desserted four way and waited for my turn to cross. The weather had been horrible for the past two days and thus, no cars were loitering around at 10 pm. Ms.Anne had offered to escort me but since my house was the corner house in the opposite lane, I didn't want to trouble her. My dad was going to throw a fit, but I was just going to have to convince him that I was fine.

As I was going to cross the zebra crossing, a feminine scream filled the silence of the night. I watched horrified as a car slid across the slippery road and hit a lamppost on the side. A loud bang echoed and smoke emerged from the bonnet.
Shit!
I carefully rushed to the car to help. Two people, a young man and a woman were inside. The man, who was bleeding from his head, was frantically trying to get out and the woman was hyperventilating. I checked around my pocket for my phone and cursed. I had forgotten it on charge at Ms.Annas house. I tried searching around for someone to call but it seemed that only I was around. I looked at the end of the street where my house was and I cursed. My house seemed to far to run and call for help. I needed to get these people out first.

I tried opening the doors but they didn't budge, they were jammed. I tried a few times but to no avail
Seeing a metal lamppost piece close to the car tyre, I picked it up. It was heavy yet I had no other object to break the window. I went to the drivers seat and gestured for the man to move at the back. He didn't understand me. I spoke but it fell upon deaf ears due to all the screaming the woman was doing. Didn't she understand her screaming was just worsening the situation?

Throwing caution to the wind, I lifted up the metal and hit it against the window a few times. It was the best way to make the crack bigger. The man finally understood what I was doing and moved his face away and just then, all the pieces fell on the guys lap. After apologizing, I picked up all the big glass pieces and throw them down. I was thankful for the thickness of my mittens because the sharp glass didn't pierce me.

The man at last used his brains. He pushed his seat at the back, lifted his still screeching wife up and guided her to his previous seat .Upon closer inspection, I realised the woman was pregnant and to add the cherry to the top, she was in labour! The man moved at the backseat and instructed his wife to stand on the drivers seat. Then bend one leg out before the other.Thankfully she was a short, skinny woman and was easily able to get out through the window with my help. The man then came out next.