9- The Escape

Maaria's POV

Maaria's POV

Me and Christopher walked into Mother's bedroom, to find the bed unmade with the bed sheets being on the side of the bed. I looked around and found three golden chain, keeping one for myself and the other two for money.

"She's not coming back, is she?" I asked looking at Christopher with Cathy's ring on the golden chain. He looks at me, with a firm look on his face.

"She's dead to us now."

"Good. Because we don't need her anymore, not now, not ever. We can depend on each other instead." Christopher takes what he can and I take Mother's necklace from the drawer and hide it in my pocket.

We hurried back to the room before someone could catch us, Carrie was still asleep and Christopher was checking the outside the window.

"When do we tell her?" I asked Christopher, referring to Carrie.

"After breakfast. I don't want her getting scared more than she has to be." We walked over to the table and Christopher counts the money again to make sure we had the correct amount and enough.

"So we just walk right out the front door?" I asked, trying to revise the plan with Christopher.

"We wait till dinner, when all the servants and family are in the kitchen or dining room." I nod my head.

"Then Carrie and I will go the fence and you'll go to the shed so you can turn off the electricity?"

"Then we catch up by the lake and head for the depot for the evening train." Christopher says, putting the money in his pocket.

"And by the time Grandmother comes in with our breakfast tomorrow, we'll be halfway to Florida," He smiles at me and I looked down at my ring and Cathy's,"I was thinking, I can sell my ring and Cathy's," Christopher looks at me and I smile,"It's okay, it's what Dad and Cathy would've wanted."

"Your keeping the rings. Forever." Suddenly he starts coughing and I look at him worried. I walked over to him and notice how he was sweating and how pale he kinda looked. I placed my hand on the side of his head and he seemed warm. I had a worried look on my face and he smiles at me,"I'll be fine. Just get Carrie ready just in case anything happens and we have to leave immediately." I nod my head and kiss his cheek. 

"Just be careful Christopher. I love you."

Christopher smiles and kisses me once more before leaving the room. I started to read the rest of my book about the lovers in Verona and the when Carried woke up I decided to fold our clothes into a small bag.

"Carrie, you gotta eat something. You have to be strong for later." I told her gently and I noticed that Mickey was in her hand.

"No. Don't feel well. I have to take care of Mickey." I sat on the bed with her and noticed the donut she was giving Mickey.