39.

'The good news is there's no bleeds or swelling in your brain.' The doctor told me, late that night when all the tests had been done. It was boring and arduous, more so for Dan, but he stayed by my side the whole time.

'So she's just naturally stupid?' Dan asked. I smacked him.

'And the leg appears to have been sutured fine, there's no free flowing blood in the tissue, but there is a lot of damage to the muscle. We'll schedule you for surgery in the morning to repair the tendons. You're in for a long road to recovery I'm afraid.'

'Yeah. I sort of gathered that in the hospital.' I'd told them all about what had happened and how we'd fled the understaffed and non-English speaking hospital. I got heavily berated but I'd take it. I was home.

'Did they give you warfarin?' The doctor checked his notes.

'Whats that?' Dan asked. He'd been more aware of what I'd been talking than I was.

'Its a blood thinner.'

'No, I don't think so.' He said. They injected me with the drugs and warned that I was at risk of blood clots because I'd been bed bound for days and then in a car for eighteen hours. It was late by the time I was put in my own private room and they weren't as easy going as the last hospital with allowing visitors over night, so Dan was asked to leave. I already felt strange that we'd be apart.

'I'll be back in the morning.' He assured me. It would be weird to not be with him. We'd spent the last four days solidly together. 'Do you want me to bring you anything?'

'Clothes, I guess?'

'Ok.' He kissed me goodbye and I fell asleep within minutes, in a drug filled haze.