The Joke

Sorry this is a little late, but hope you all like it! (:

___________________________________________________________________________

Here We Go Again

Chapter 9: The Joke

POV:  Lily

Though many people could say that the newest generation of Weasley and Potter descendants were completely chaotic and unstable, some of us actually were quite the opposite underneath all that crazy. In the whirlwind of things, if I ever sat down and took the time to ponder logically about my relatives, I could see why they just go with it; why they just live life. We do come from a family that literally had to watch their backs every few minutes to make sure someone wasn't coming with Death tagging along, and because of that, they sort of passed on the motto that life is short; make the best of it.

And as much as we all try to go by that rule, some descendants were just incredibly stupid and I pitied them. Life was a grand ol' adventure, sure, but some of us really didn't want to end up working for Uncle George and his shop while time is wasted doing nothing but having a laugh.

Life couldn't just be about going by the whim, right?

"Perfection, Lily." From the armchair right across from mine, Rose looked up at me with proud brown eyes. "Your Charms essay is brilliant. You wrote a better paper than the ones I've corrected for James or Freddie, and they're Seventh Years."

"They're also idiots," I replied with a satisfied smirk as she handed me back my scroll of parchment. "And thanks for double-checking it, Rosie. My usual double-checker is currently upset with me."

As we were in the middle of the school day, on the longest break that we have, the Gryffindor Common Room didn't tend to get so packed during that time because most Gryffindors would do anything for fresh air, a bit of food, or to prance around with their friends than to waste it going over essays or homework. As such, the only Gryffindors that tended to use the common room as a medium of study were Rose, Lucy, Lysander Scamander, Emily—on occasions when she managed to shake off James—some Seventh Years that decided to start relearning everything they hadn't before, a few Fifth Years who were taking advantage of the time and studying earlier on for their O.W.L's, and myself.

And because the common room wasn't as packed like it was during the nights, Rose and I managed to get a perfect glimpse of our cousin Lucy. She had taken the small table by the tower's window hostage, where all the sunlight poured down like a spotlight, with her books and neatly stacked notes. She'd been writing passionately, almost sniffing the books when she read, but on the occasions that she heard me speaking, she'd glance up and glare with distaste.

"Why is Lucy mad at you, Lils?" Turning away from our angry-faced cousin, Rose knitted her eyebrows in confusion.

"No idea," I lied, shrugging at her question. "Besides, you know Lucy well enough, Rose. You know she's moody and always aggravated. I must just be at the top of the list this month."

My Sixth Year cousin didn't shake off her look of confusion. "Lucy can be a bit serious, but she's been in such a great mood since the summer."

I scoffed. Where the hell had I been for that? Lucy had the replica of Uncle Percy's personality and the greatest her mood was going to get was if someone told her that having fun had been prohibited in the castle.

"It's true," Rose went on. "She's been nothing but smiles as of late. The other day she and I were heading to the library together when we ran into Artie putting graffiti on a corridor in the second floor with Uncle George's new Magic Markers and she just ruffled his hair and skipped along."