Take Cover: It's a Weasley Christmas!

Here We Go Again

Chapter 14: Take Cover! It's a Weasley Christmas

POV: Rose

She was sitting on the floor, her knees pulled up to her chest. Her eyes were focused on the crystal ahead of her. She didn't blink, hadn't for a while. It was like her focus was transfixed on whatever it was that she thought was reflecting off the glass. But it was just her: pale skin, blonde hair in waves down to her elbows, and blue eyes painted in shimmer, making them glitter more like true sapphires.

But I knew her. She wasn't seeing herself, wasn't seeing the beauty we all knew she was. After all, she never did see the same thing reflected off that glass that we all saw. What she saw was her flaws, her problems, and everything bad she's ever done. She judged the reflection, judged and didn't forgive or let loose. It was heartbreaking.

"Nia?" I called the blonde, clearing my throat.

Slow and with such effort, my friend blinked away from the conjured mirror to look up at me. The first time she'd met my eyes in over an hour. I suppose it was my fault, however. I should've stayed quiet, I should've not said anything—especially if I knew that all of it was affecting her more than she let on.

But what was I supposed to do? She's my best friend and she's withering away little by little, day by day. I could see it, she couldn't hide it from me like she attempted to hide it from everyone else. She was losing her fiery spark and it was starting to scare me. It was my duty, as a friend, to figure out what it was, right? I couldn't just let her slip away; let her suffer by herself.

Mum always said I tended to meddle. She said I got that from her, and Dad couldn't agree more. Can we be blamed, though? We see people hurting, of course we want to help! That's who we are. So how is this any different? If I said it, if I crossed a line, I did it for her. I did it for Nia.

But maybe I shouldn't have.

"What do you think about this one?" I gestured to the third dress I had tried on that day. "Do you like it?" It was a sheath dress, sleeveless, pale silver and completely sequenced. It molded perfectly onto my body, ending mid-thigh; looking like reflective glitter had been painted on my skin.

I headed to the vanity in my room, bending slightly to pick up the black booties I left on the bench of the elegant station. "It'd go perfect with these, right? Molly got them for me for Christmas; says they're a big muggle trend right now."

I sat on the bench of my vanity, picking up the left heel and unzipping the side of it. I slipped my foot in and quickly did it to the right one. Standing, feeling taller and very feminine, I smiled. "I'm not very experienced with heels, but a simple cushioning charm can make life a lot easier, don't you think?"

"Why did you say that to me?" She wasn't looking at my attire, wasn't even bothered by it. "Why would you say that?"

My smiled died. "Nia," I began, letting out a tired sigh. "Forget it, okay? I crossed a line, I was out of place. I'm sorry."

"Would you lie to me?" She asked, ignoring my signals of dropping the subject and my uncomfortable facial expression.

"Of course not."

"Then, tell me." Her voice was rough now. "What did you mean by what you said?"

I closed my eyes, sighing again. "Nia, please just let it—"

"I'm not going to let it go!" That startled me. "So I'm a doormat then? Have I become one of those girls I've always made fun of in the Common Room, Rose? Have a seriously lost myself to a boy?"