One and Only

Here We Go Again

Chapter 38: One and Only

POV: Scorpius

There was a sense of excitement ticking inside the walls that composed the Great Hall. It was the sort of excitement that infects every single person in sight; it makes one person smile, then the person next to them, until there's a chance that everyone is going to break out into a musical number and fireworks are going to take up the sky. It was joy, clearly, and it all had to do with the fact that it was the final, full day of being at Hogwarts. Tomorrow morning, at the crack of dawn, at the first sight of sunlight, the summer holidays commenced. Everyone was living off each others thrill to be going home.

I don't think anyone looked more relieved that the holidays were right around the corner than my group of friends—and with bloody good reason. All of us had taken a fall down a deep, dark abyss. We were lost for so long in the pitch black hole that we ended up becoming blind. Not only did we lose sight of our own values, worth, ideas, and the sort, but, most importantly, we forgot about the connections we have with one another. This year was so twisted we ended up fighting with one another, barking like rabid, three-headed dogs at each other. Not only were our own demons the enemies, but one another as well.

It was dark times, that is certain, but things are starting to look up. Usually I hate being a sap, but I'm happy that progress is being made. These are my friends, a second family of sorts, and it's fucked up to see us fucked up.

After having one of the worst breakups in the history of relationships, Al and Nia managed to bury the hatchet. I was sort of skeptical about the entire situation because, be it as it may that Potter's my best mate, I didn't think he deserved a second chance with Nia. At least, not until a very long time from now. Nia hated me, as she had all the right to be after I became an unwilling accomplice in Al's affair, but I wanted her to be happy. And as much as I thought time needed to pass between them in order for things to fix themselves, I couldn't deny that Al now looked like his soul came back to his body, that his eyes were brighter than ever, and that he was becoming that bloke I knew like the back of my hand. Most importantly, however, Nia was starting to become herself again. She'd spent such a long time secluded or intoxicated after Potter broke her heart, but now she was glowing again. She was a true beauty, that was definite, but with her head held high now, with a confidence and strength about her, she was a true gem. They were just friends, Al and Nia, but it wasn't hard to miss that they only had eyes for one another. Sparks of romance were going to ignite like a wildfire soon enough.

Emily and James Potter were quite the opposite than Al and Nia (and that was a bloody good thing or else I would've hexed Potter's bits off without a second thought). As much as I enjoy the petty rivalry between James and I, I couldn't deny that he deserved my respect for keeping himself sane and strong for the sake of Emily. No one ever said it was easy to be in love with someone who has mental problems, but Potter never quit. Many thought he should've, many wanted something different for him, but his love for Emily kept him right beside her. I suppose his only mistake was thinking that he could fix her instead of having her fix herself. After an almost successful attempt on her own life, Emily made it out with James helping her every step along the way. Emily was like my sister, and as I said, as much as I love hating Potter, I know that she's safe in his hands. There's something about the way she melts to his side, and the way that she seems better, full of life, a sparkle to her eyes, when she is near him that is comforting to those who love her. It cannot be denied that their love is something that should be written in the stars, something that should be rewarded with forever.

Completely different than the other two relationships mentioned is the one that used to belong to my cousin Liam and Lily Potter. Those two ended their romance and have not since become friends, spoken to one another, let alone contemplated on getting back with each other. It is not to say that hadn't want to; Liam spent the first few weeks desperate to have Lily back, but rumor was that she was with Octavio De la Cruz. So, Liam did the only thing that he could do: he moved on. He started seeing Gracen Goyle, a very lovely and sweet girl who is perfect for him. If I were to be honest, I preferred Gracen over Lily as my cousin's girlfriend any day. As it is in the nature of people to want something that you can't have, I heard from Rose (who was told by her cousin Roxy, the biggest gossip in the world) that Lily wanted Liam back, but she understood, as I did and many people did, that Liam was better off with Gracen.