3: Eyes in the Dark

Eyes in the Dark {Lilia}

I walked home alone. I did not even wait for Savannah at her car. Too many things were on my mind. Will Blakely was not a person worth my thoughts but I couldn't get his words out of my head. He thought that I was a princess that got whatever I wanted.

Well, isn't it the truth?

Did I not always, every year, get everything that I want at Christmas? At birthdays, with no fail, I always got the biggest cake? Was I ever grounded? Did I ever get in trouble?

The answer was no.

So wasn't the statement true?

I became angry at myself for letting someone so low get to me that way. I was better than Will Blakely. Not because my family had more money, and not because I wore matched clothing, but because I did not live with the sole purpose of ruining other peoples' day.

I shivered. It was a cold afternoon. And it was already starting to get dark out. I pulled my jacket closer to my body and quickened my pace. I found myself soon walking by the small grove of trees by my home. Almost there...

I nearly screamed when I saw the eyes.

There were glowing eyes, right there in the darkness of the wooded area. They glowed bright and ominously, as if they were a source of power. They were unblinking and brought me to a stand-still on the sidewalk. The eyes locked onto mine and I had the strange feeling of being pulled toward them. And then there were more eyes, lighting up among the trees. I gaped at them and tried to make a sound, but nothing would come out. I started to freak out. I found it hard to breathe. I couldn't move. Oh god, I was having another panic-attack!

Then, all at once, the eyes were gone. Like a candle being blown out. Like a light-switch being flipped off. Like...

Oh shut up! I yelled at myself internally.

I ran the rest of the way home, without looking back at the trees. Once inside, I slammed the door shut behind me.

"Mom! Dad!" I yelled.

Then I berated myself. It wasn't even five-thirty yet. Neither of them would be home. I don't think I had ever felt so afraid in my life. I ran upstairs and turned on as many lights as I could in my room. Then I fell back onto my bed.

You were just seeing things, I told myself.

But what if I wasn't?

I lay there for nearly an hour, my mind rearing with all of the happenings of my day. I just wished my mind could go blank, completely blank, just for awhile. I wished that I didn't have to worry about anything, like grades or student council, my parents or Will Blakely. I wished I could go to a place where I could...be....... at peace.........

I drifted off to sleep.

The music started very quietly. The eery feeling filled my body once again. The corridor wasn't completely dark, like it usually was.I could see light, seeping in from....I couldn't tell. Light shone upon the floor. I saw stone. It was cold. There was a table...no, a podium, in the middle of the room. I walked forward. Each step I took seemed to make the distance longer and longer of a stretch. I reached out to grab the midnight colored velvet cloth...There was a noise behind me. I looked to see a door. The door had opened and dim, yellow light filled the room ever more. A shadow lay across the doorway. The music became louder. And louder. Soon, it was so loud that I clapped my hands to my ears, to try and evade the sound. It stopped.

"She's the one," the ever so distant, but seemingly familiar voice whispered.

I awoke abruptly, sweat dripping from my face. I looked around frantically. The clock said 6:30 p.m. I had only been asleep for merely a few minutes. I cursed myself for being so besotted with the music, and the voice, that occurred in my dream. I was left craving to hear more. And I hated myself for it.

I got out of bed and started on my Algebra II homework. If I wanted to get into Winston like my parents insisted on, then I did not have time for foolish dreams.

You're the one, I caught myself thinking.