1: The Song In My Dreams

• Dedicated to Chimi, who introduced me to the magic of Labyrinth

The Song In My Dreams {Lilia}

The song was low and sweet. I could feel the melody pull the strings of my heart. It was beautiful. It was....eerie. It felt so sad, so... full of sorrow. The corridor was long and cold. It was dark. Where was the music coming from? Just then, the music ceased. The silence was less eerie than the song. My heart ached to hear the tormenting noise yet again. A wet tear landed upon my cheek.

"Sarah," I heard the voice.

The voice was as beautiful and sorrowful as the music that had been playing. It sent ripples through my body. I shivered. I wondered whom Sarah was. I wondered whom he was....

I awoke to the shrill sound of my alarm clock. My hand shot out from under my bedspread and slapped at the shrieking thing. Once it was quiet I lay in bed wondering why I kept having this reoccurring dream. I glanced over at my clock. Ugh. I was going to miss the bus! I hopped out of bed and grabbed a shirt from my closet and a slightly clean pair of jeans up from the floor. I ran my fingers through my hair. Then I ran downstairs.

The kitchen was spotless as usual. Mom had already left to run her errands. Father had left for the office hours ago. I caught a reflection of myself in the window. I looked horrible. I didn't even have any makeup on! This is not how my mornings typically go. I was always up on time and perfectly polished and ready by the time I walked to the bus. But ever since I had started having that darn dream....

I grabbed an apple from the fridge. I took a bite hastily and made a face. I don't like apples. But I have to eat them. They're healthy. They're good for you. Everything I do it seems like it's "good" for me. I had never even questioned this lifestyle of mine before the dream...

All I thought about was that ridiculous dream! I was starting to get angry with myself. It didn't even make any sense! I was used to everything in my life having a purpose or a certain order. My dreams usually consisted of going to the mall and trying to buy something and being totally embarrassed when I realize I don't have any money. I also dreamt about failing tests...or not being accepted into Winston University.....eck. Those are just plain nightmares. "Stress nightmares due to my hectically organized life" my best friend Savannah always said to me.

Speaking of the devil herself, Savannah honked from the driveway. I quickly ran back upstairs to change in a more presentable top and grabbed my favorite pink Coach bag. Then I ran out to Savannah's silver BMW. I hopped into the car to see an amused expression on her face.

"What?" I demanded.

"You always look extra stressed on Mondays is all," She said, biting her lip to contain a smile.

"Shut up and drive," I muttered darkly.

Savannah and I couldn't be more different personality-wise. Of course, we both lived in the gated community of Golden Gates on the north side of Summersfield, and we both had fathers that were defense lawyers and mothers who were members of the city council. Not to mention we both have nice cars and are on student council but Savannah and I are still very different. I always wear nice, matching clothes and make sure I look as perfect as I can before entering a room. I am constantly stressed to the max between studying my butt off, being president of student council, and doing volunteer work at the local daycare. Savannah could care less about what people thought about her. She wore bright and loud clothing that drove her mother bonkers and had a belly button piercing that her father would have a coronary over if he found out about it. Savannah didn't care about getting into college but is super smart and get As without even trying. It steams me. But, even though we're so different, me being "uptight" as she put it, and her being so laid-back, we are still inseparable friends. I couldn't even begin to explain why.

Savannah was smiling the whole way to school. One couldn't help but notice.

"What on Earth are you so happy about?" I wanted to know.

She laughed. "Well if you must know, I've met someone."

"Really?! Who?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"You're not going to tell me?" I said.

"Nope," She said.

"You know I'll just find out eventually..." I said.

"You going to spy on me or something, Lil? Cause, no offense, but you're horrible at sneaking around...and keeping secrets now that I think about it," She said.

I crossed my arms and slumped in the leather seat.

"Fine. Don't tell me. I'm only your best friend, after all," I said.

"Lilia, don't pout. It's not an attractive look on you," She said.

I immediately sat up and removed the pouty look from my face. Then we pulled up into our assigned parking spot at school, right by the front entrance. It was a good thing too, because the bell rang just as we got out of Savannah's car. Crud, we only had five minutes now to get to class.

"See you at lunch!" Savannah called at me while going the opposite way to her own designated first period.

I waved and made my way upstairs to room 230. I reached the doorway just as the bell rang. Now, Mr. Delurentius is very strict. You have to be in your seat when the bell rings or you're tardy. I'd never been tardy before.... I stepped into the room and thirty pairs of eyes turned directly at me. Mr. Delurentius turned his sixty-year old gaze on me.

"Miss Francis-" He started.

"I'm so so sorry I'm late Mr. Delurentius. It will never happen again!" I said, near-frantic.

"Miss Francis, it is fine. You're father has a very important case today, doesn't he?" He asked, catching me totally off-guard.

"Oh. Oh, um yes. He does actually..." I said.

"Go ahead and take your seat. It's alright, I haven't taken attendance yet," Mr. Delurentius said tapping my empty seat with his pen.

"O-okay," I said and took my seat.

Mr. Delurentius went up to the board and started lecturing on the Han Dynasty. You've gotta love World History.

I heard someone clear their throat behind me and I turned around to see Will, the darkly dressed juvenile delinquent, behind me.

"Must be nice being royalty and having every person sucking up to you, huh, Princess?" He whispered.

My cheeks grew pink with embarrassment.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I whispered back.

"Whatever you say, Your Highness," He mocked.

I turned back around in my seat and tried to focus on the board. No such luck. The Han Dynasty was no match versus my embarrassment at the wrath of Will Blakely.