Chapter 1

I was having one of those dreams again.

All girls have them around my age, or even earlier; that one fantasy where you’re the heroine in your own romance novel. Where the guy sweeps you off your feet and carries your 130 pound (hey now, it’s a dream) body over to the softest bed you’ve ever felt and makes sweet passionate love to you.

Yeah, it was one of those mornings… But of course, it had to be interrupted.

I felt a breath against me; someone was very close to my face and I’d bet my lifesavings that I knew who it was.

I resisted the urge to ground my teeth and took a deep breath instead, rolling over hoping that the annoying presence would leave me alone.

I should have known better.

I shot up out of bed with a screech as cold water dripped from my body and my sheets. My eyes revealed to me that it was two of my younger brothers. Now when I say younger, I mean only by a few minutes since my mother had all four of her children at the same time.

I’m the oldest yet the only girl. I think fate made up for the fact I would be surrounded by overprotective, egotistical, testosterone-filled males my entire life by making me the oldest.

Now there were only two of my three younger brothers in my room because the youngest of us all was the most mature (even more than myself at times).

He was probably in the library reading a book, or contemplating the meaning of life, or painting a picture that would be worth millions a hundred years from now.

Yep, Anthony was that kind of guy – real liberal and artsy, much to my father’s chagrin.

Anthony was also born a full five minutes after the two idiots in my room. We joke and call them the twins because they’re inseparable and they were born within seconds of each other.

The oldest is Damien Jr., named after my father, but we just call him DJ for short. Now DJ (and I love him very much) isn’t the brightest crayon in the box. But he could lift up a 747 if he wanted to, so again, fate playing the job of mediator.

Now the younger ‘twin’ was Adrian. He can’t even open a pickle jar for himself, but he sure as hell can think of a machine to do it for him in three seconds flat and have it built before the pickles are even room temperature from coming out the fridge.

So here I was, shivering in my now see-through t-shirt, glaring at the twins thinking about just how high I can make them sing when I castrate them.

“You guys are so dead,” I managed to get out from between my chattering teeth.

“Happy Birthday, Big Sis!” DJ had the nerve to say with a grin.

“DJ, you have a three second head start, assuming you can count that high. And Adrian, you have a ten second head start, since you suck at all things athletic.”

Adrian sneered at me but took off anyway. D stood there for a moment, “You calling me stupid?”

“Yes.” I stated bluntly but added a sweet smile, “But I still love you. Now run.” I said as I felt my wolf emerging.

DJ’s eyes widened, he must have seen my hazel eyes turn gold, and took off into the hallway. I gave them a few more seconds while I changed out of the wet t-shirt (no need to give the maids a show) then took off after them.

Adrian was a smart guy; I’m not much of a tracker so it would’ve been hard to find him if DJ wasn’t dumb enough to use his amazing tracking skills to find Adrian.