Chapter 9

I groaned as I felt my new mate trace his fingers along my spine.

Between that and the sunlight peeking through the curtains on to my face, I knew that it was time to leave our fairytale land and dive back into reality.

I turned over to see him peering at me and I couldn’t help the smile that curved my face. I was just so happy it was unreal. I almost didn’t want to be too happy because it’s times like these that everything likes to come crashing down.

But as you’ve seen before, I don’t do sad well, and I definitely don’t do melancholy well, so I decided to put all that to the side and enjoy the good-looking vampire in front of me.

As if hearing my thoughts, the sun decided to shine its happy rays upon my mate. I watched, amazed, as the sun touched his skin, almost caressed it. The sun loved him just as much as I did.

“I hope our child looks like you,” he said to me, breaking me out of my worshipful attention of him.

“What?” I asked on a laugh, “That was pretty random,” I told him.

He shrugged; he will forever amaze me, but seeing my prim and proper vampire king shrug made me smile every time, “But it is true.”

“What if we have a boy? It will be one girly looking guy,” I said to him jokingly, not really paying much attention to the conversation, just enjoying the time being spent with one another.

“Then, of course, he will have to look like me. Either way, our children will be gorgeous.”

I laughed out loud, “That’s so conceited of you! You know there is such a thing called the recessive gene,” I told him.

“Are you saying that our children will be ugly?” he said with mock horror, “How dare you put that upon them!”

I chuckled and laid a hand on his cheek, “I do love how you went from child to children. Who says I want more than one?”

“You are a werewolf, natural pack animals; I am sure you are going to want more than one child,” he said to me. I wanted to feel indignant at that comment – him just assuming things about me, but he was right.

My mother was practically traumatized after having four children at once, and that’s why I’m sure she never tried to have more children. But I would revel in the organized chaos that I grew up in and that comes with large families.

“You don’t have any siblings?” I asked but I already knew the answer.

“No,” Lucien told me, “You know that my mother was turned while pregnant with me. After giving birth, which was very hard on her, she completed the transformation. Vampire females cannot support a pregnancy.”

“Before you knew you were going to marry me, did you ever hope to have children? That is, if you assumed that you would marry a vampire female,” I asked him.

He looked thoughtful, “I never really put much thought into a family of my own, so I did not ever really think on it.”

I frowned, him and his non-answers, such a guy thing to do. “So if vampire females can’t give birth then how does the crown get passed down? Isn’t it supposed to be by blood?”

“Often a vampire king will find a human that they trust and turn them and crown him king. It is understood by vampires that whoever you turn is now a part of your family, and you are responsible for them.

Or you could impregnate a human female and then turn the child, and mother if you were attached to her. A child born of a vampire and human is fully human for some odd reason. That was what my father was trying to do but he ‘jumped the gun’ and turned my mother before time.”