XVI

I have a very lovely home, mother, thanks for asking" I drink my wine too, "My home is much more exquisite - unlike your house. No offense, daddy" I say. Dad smiles knowingly, "None taken."

I roll my eyes internally as I hear her question. This woman really irked me.

"Very fine, thank you. Your daughter has been a source of support to me." Luke says. He takes my hands in his, and places a kiss on my fingers. I give a small smile. He made my heart flutter and his voice, sent heat up my legs.

"So, what do you do?"

Luke is about to speak but mom's wine flute falls on the floor and in the process, spills on her. "Sweet Jesus," She continues, "Luke, dear would you come along with me while I wash this off in the kitchen?"

"No," I get up, "Why don't I escort you, mother?"

**

"I know you were calling Luke because you wanted to ask him for money. Don't you dare ask my husband for money, mother." I say moving closer to her. "I know you too well." I say , handing her a napkin. "I'll make sure you never get a dime from him."

Her hand meets with my face in less than a second. I frown but recompose my self. I avoid eye contact with her.

"For God's sake Natalie, is this how you speak to your own mother? Please, fear the Lord! Jesus." She says as she flips her hair.

"Did your fear the Lord when you sold your only child for money? Please, mom. Drop the act. You aren't one to talk. Don't be a hypocrite." I say and turn to leave. At this point I wanted to cry. I was at the verge of breaking down. It was evident that I meant absolutely nothing to my mother and she was willing to go far to get whatever she wanted, even if it meant making my life a living hell.

Looking through the window, I stare at the garden. It broke my heart having such a fierce altercation with my mother but it was almost unavoidable.

Luke hugs me from behind and I feel goosebumps all over me, just by his touch. I close my eyes, letting his touch calm me.

"Your scent is so intoxicating, drives me insane, my love."

"Lemon verbena and a hint of strawberry." I say as I feel his manhood on my rump.

"If we weren't at your home right now, nothing would stop me from taking you." He says as he caresses my chin.

"My love," I say, suppressing my urge to moan out loud.

A cough distracts me from my thoughts and my moment with my husband. Luke quickly releases me and I turn to see who had interrupted us.

"Aunt Ruth!" I scream, "Bloody hell! I've missed you!" I scream as I find my way to her. We share a long hug.

I frown, "Aunt, you never even called me, not once."

She has on a sad face, "My love, I did try to reach you but your mother wouldn't let me. It even made us quarrel and we haven't spoken in months. Forgive me, my love." She caresses my cheek. I loved Aunt Ruth so dearly because she had the been the real definition of a mother in my life.

I roll my eyes, "Of course aunt, I could never stay mad at yo," I hold her hand. I continue, "Aunt" I turn to face Luke."This is my husband, Luke. Luke, this is my aunt Ruth."

He walks closer to her, "My pleasure, Mrs. Ruth." He says while shaking her hand. Aunt Ruth had a huge smile plastered on her face. Her pearly white teeth in full display.

"Oh, my boy, how handsome you are!" She holds my hand, "Natty, your husband is a ten ten—she pauses, "the circumstances of your marriage is quite shady and unbelievably disgusting, but, please," She pauses. She looks at me. She continues, "Are you treating Natalie well?" She asks Luke.

"Yes, of course aunt." I walk over to Luke and hug him. I take in his scent, "Luke treats me with so much love and—I pause, unconsciously thinking because although Luke loved me, he hadn't treated me respectfully in front of Laurel. He hadn't given me my place as the lady of the manor.

"I'm glad to hear this honey, but why don't I go see your father for a while?"

I nod, "Please." I say

Aunt Ruth leaves and myself and Luke are alone. I fold my arms and look at him, a frown on my face.

"Natalie? Are you okay?"

I touch my temple, "No, not at all Luke. I'm not fine. I'm not okay."

He comes closer, holding me by the waist, my breasts on his chest. "My love, I hate seeing you sad or unhappy. What is it?"

"Please, Luke. You hate seeing me sad, but yet you cause my sadness?"

He looks confused, his eyes sad. "What did I do? Did I hurt you?" He says, releasing me instantly.

"Yes. You have refused to give me my rightful place as your wife and as the lady of the manor. Laurel is in charge of everything - hell, she even gets to decide what I eat, what I drink!"

"But it's always been that way- I cut him off. "I agree. The only difference is that now, I'm here and I can handle these things, as your wife. Yours." I say as I hold his collar.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel less important or if I didn't acknowledge you as the lady of the house—which you are. It is my fault and I'll rectify it as soon as we're home." He kisses my forehead. "I love you, you drive me crazy, Natalie." He says as he kisses my forehead. Oh, this man. . .

We had gotten to Shoreditch before nightfall and I lay here, in my bed, thoughtless. Luke had gone to his study to sort out some business related issues and had promised to bring our dinner to my room as soon as he was done.

I get down from my bed and tip toe to my bedside mirror and I unconventionally stare at myself when my eye falls on my neck. I touch it and tilt my head to properly get a good view of it. It was a love bite. There's a knock on the door. "Come in." I say, turning to look at the door. It's Emmanuele.

"Madam?" She says. I get down from the stool and walk to her, my arms crossed. "Yes, Emmanuele, what is it?"

"Well, Mr. Carrington is on the phone and he doesn't seem all that happy- he broke a vase." She says and I gasp. Immediately, I rush past her and head downstairs.

Reaching down, it's quiet and I see Luke standing by the bar, his back facing me. He has a glass of vodka in his right hand, his grey shirt folded up his arms. I walk up behind him and just as I'm about to touch him, he smashes the glass on the wall.

I gasp, hurriedly moving back. My heart begins to beat faster than usual and my eyes widen. I hadn't wanted to admit it, but now, I couldn't deny the fact that Luke was extremely violent and it scared the hell out of me.

He turns around and his eyes are watery and red, something that happened whenever he was pissed off. He nods his head as if he was begging me not to be frightened, his left hand reaching for me. "Natalie." He says, moving closer. I keep moving, shakily and he stops.

"I would never hurt you, you know that." He says and as though I snapped out of a trance, I stop. I walk as fast as I can and give him a hug. He kisses my hair and caresses my back.

"You don't have to talk about it, just know I have your back my love." I say as I look into his eyes, "Always, forever." I say, and we share a small kiss.

Luke and I were in bed, the room illuminated by a fluorescent lamp. I was wrapped around him and he held me tight, like he never wanted me out of his sight.

"My love?" I call

"My love" He responds. "Why don't you ever talk about your family? Where are they?"

He becomes still and I wonder if that was a tender topic for him. "Did I say something wrong? I'm so—

"No, no." He says, "Actually, my parents are dead. My mom and dad died about ten years ago. I had a sister too but I've been looking for her."

"Have you found her?" I ask, genuinely concerned.

"Honestly, I'm beginning to lose all hope. I've been searching for years now but it's like she disappeared off the face of the earth. She's probably dead."

"I don't know what to say, Luke, I'm sorry." I say, placing a kiss on his stomach. "Why are you looking for them though? I mean, what happened? Were you separated?"