8

It was free period, you saw Neil talking to Nikki and walked up to him. "We need to talk." You whisper, grabbing his wrist and walking away. "H-Huh?? Wait what—" Stuttered Neil.

The two of you made your way out of the school, you look around and notice no one is listening. You then stare at him dead in

"You heard me."

"What? Heard what—"

"What Ered and I were talking about."

He paused. "How did you—"

"Max. He told me."

"Oh— Y/n I'm sorry..."

"Sorry? Sorry isn't enough for me, Neil. You lied to me! You even promised you didn't hear me!" You yelled, tears welling in your eyes. You were frustrated, it was fine if he heard you, but could he not admit it to you?

"I'm so sorry Y/n I just didn't want to lose your friendship—" He mumbled. "You wouldn't have lost anything by saying you did! I don't care if you heard me, I just care if you lie! Do anything you want, but if you lie, It's not okay. I hate it when people lie, you know this Neil!" You protested, tears threatening to spill.

"I'm sorry Y/n, I promise, and I PROMISE that this time I will never lie to you again." He states. You pause.

"Promise?" You whisper.

"Promise." He gives you a genuine, non-awkward, smile.

"Thank you, Neil." You whisper, hugging him. He looked down on you. Shocked. A smile slowly creeped onto his lips. "No, thank you."

...

Two weeks had passed and you were walking down the halls, you had Art, making your way to class you were a bit late, and bumped into someone. "Goodness— I'm sorry!" You mumble. Backing up.

"Y/n?" Asked Tina. "Tina? Aren't you supposed to be in class?" You asked. "I could ask the same thing." Tina stated. "I'm late, what's your excuse?" "I saw Max spray-panting the outside of the school, had to tell a teacher." She shrugged.

"Hey Tina?" You asked. "Yeah?" She said. "If I ever do something wrong, will you tell on me?" You mumble quietly. She thought for a second. "Yeah." She states. That hurt. "Justice comes before friends, Y/n...." Tina mumbled on her words, she glanced at you and saw that you were hurt, maybe even offended.

"But, for you I'll make an effort. I won't say anything, just don't go out spray-panting walls." She smiled, though the smile looked forced, you brushed it off and smiled. "You're the best, Tina!" You hug her. She hugs back.
oh
...

Walking down the street back home, you felt sad. Neil was sick today and didn't come to school. So you had no one to walk with.

That day in particular Max's parents did want to pick him up and made him walk home. Walking he noticed you. He picked up his pace and smirked when he was walking beside you.

"Maxwell? Since when did you walk?" You asked. "I just felt like it." He smirked. "Why, do you have a problem with it?" He says. "No— Not really... I would just prefer Neil." You mutter. "Neil? What's so special about Neil? He's just a stupid nerd—"

"Are you really saying those things about him?" You ask. "Well ya, they're coming out of my mouth, now aren't they?" He asked. "Wow... I can't believe anyone would ever talk about a friend like that." You mutter.

You stop walking and Max does to.

"What kind of friend are you? Do you even hang out with him? I bet you haven't once complimented him in a month." You glare. "Bet! I complimented him yesterday." He stated. "When, what and where." You glare.

"Before school, his hair, outside of school. I said his hair looked clean for once." He shrugs. "That's not a compliment—" "Yes it is, I'm saying his hair is clean." "That— That isn't fair— Gosh, whatever." You roll your eyes as you start walking again.

"How far do you even live?" You asked. "Not that fair, just [place far from here]" He shrugs. "What?!" You gasp. "What?" He asked. "That's like a thirty minute walk— Here, I'll call an uber. I'd drive you but I'm fifteen."

You called up an uber and gave him a hundred dollars, you explained to him that you weren't going with but that should cover it. If it was less he could keep the tip.

...

Max made his way into the passengers seat. He sneaked glances to you. "Thankyou." He muttered. "Pardon?" You ask. "Thank you, god. You just had to be annoying, huh?" He glared, though you swore you saw a small grin. "Well, you're welcome Max. I'll see you at school." You smile, waving your arm as the van started driving away.

"Well, I helped a person in need. Karma, you got my back now right?" You joked to yourself. "God, I'm talking to myself. I really am going crazy."

Walking back home you opened your front door, closing it behind you you took of your shoes. Putting down your school bag you start to cook up some instant noodles, it was kind of what you lived off of at the moment. You were too lazy to go grocery shopping, while your dad barely ate so he didn't notice the food not even being there.

Maybe you could go shopping tonight?

... Hm

Nah

Maybe tomorrow