34. Vokaya

Hanging onto Leonard's promise that they would catch up and knowing that he really needed help, Kate and Leonard headed over to Spock.

Jim placed a hand on Spock's shoulder as they got over there and asked, "Are you all right?"

Spock tried to put on his normal face, but Kate could see through him as he said, "I am functioning adequately, Captain," then adjusted as he began saying, "Captain we discovered that the stolen artifact appears to have come from this planet."

Leonard, not about to put up with Spock putting his needs behind everyone else's said, "Dammit, Spock.  He's hurt," just as Spock lost his balance.

Kate and Leonard managed to grab hold of him before he fell and led him over to a couch that he could lie down on as Kate said, "Lie down, Spock."

Once they got him down, Leonard turned to Jaylah and asked, "Are there any medical supplies on this ship?"

Jaylah nodded and said, "Follow me," and led Leonard toward the old med bay.  Kate called back in warning before was out of ear shot, "Len, these supplies are ancient, but they do still seem to be working."

All she got was a groan in return, and she knew that Leonard wasn't going to be happy with what he found.  Forgetting him for right now, she turned to Spock and asked, "What were you thinking?  You know you can't help anyone else when you're injured like this."

If Spock wasn't half Vulcan, Kate was sure he would have rolled his eyes as he replied, "I was thinking about getting our crew back together, and getting your husband back to you, Kate.  Much as Dr. McCoy and I might not see eye to eye, I do in fact know that you two need each other."

The way Spock looked at her, she was sure that he knew she was pregnant, but Kate didn't get a chance to push the topic further as Jim asked, "How do we get out of this place, Spock?  We've got no ship and no crew."

Spock sighed as he adjusted his position and said, "We will do what we have always done, Jim.  We will find hope in the impossible."

Jim and Kate smiled at each other, both sharing a moment over how poetic Spock always seemed to be, before Jim said, "Let's get you better first, okay."

Spock tried to sit up, but Jim and Kate pushed him back down as he said, "Captain, you must focus your attention on helping the crew."

Kate shook her head and said, "You know we can't do that right now, Spock.  Like it or not, the Kirk twins do care about you."

Jim nodded in agreement and added, "Besides, I need you to help with that, Spock."

Leonard came grumbling back into the room at this point and said, "These things are from the dark ages," as he sat some supplies down on the floor.

Kate looked over the tools as Leonard pointed one out and said, "I'm pretty sure this is a protoplaser," then turned to Kate and asked, "What do you think, darlin'?"

Kate took it and examined it for a moment, wishing she could remember more of her history of medicine course, and said, "I think so, but there's no way to know for sure until you try it."

Leonard turned to Jim and said, "It can stop internal bleeding, at least that's my hope."

To this, Spock said to no one in particular, "The miserable have no other medicine but only hope."

Jim, Kate, and Leonard shared a laugh before Leonard said, "Death's door, and he's quoting Shakespeare."

Fortunately, Leonard and Kate were both right and the tool had been a protoplaser.  Spock's internal bleeding was stopped and everyone sat around silently for a moment.   Jim looked around the room, assessing everyone before saying, "This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but we've all got to rest at least a little.  We're no good to the rest of the crew if we can't think on our feet."