18. You Are Not There to Flirt

Radio silence was one of the most difficult things to deal with while people were out as part of an away team.  Radio silence either was a very good or a very bad thing.  It could be good because it could mean things were progressing as planned, so there was no need to contact the ship for any updates.  On the other hand, it could be bad because it could mean the away team was no longer alive to contact the ship.

Kate tried very hard to not think of this the whole time Jim, Spock, and Nyota were away, but she almost couldn't help the direction her thoughts traveled in.  As the minutes ticked by, it was soon a half an hour since they left.  Then half an hour turned into an hour, which turned into nearly two hours. She knew she was driving Leonard and Sulu crazy, pacing around, waiting for news that may never come, but she just couldn't help herself.

Finally, Kate was able to breathe an audible sigh of relief when she heard Jim's voice come over the communicator and say, "We've got our man in custody and we're heading back to the Enterprise."  She didn't think she had ever felt so much relief before and never wanted to have to feel that much relief again.  That much relief meant there was an incredible amount of worrying that had happened, and that was going to become too much for her.

Sulu sounded relieved as well when he replied, "Excellent news, Captain.  The Enterprise will be ready for you when you return."

Kate agreed with his words, but couldn't handle that he didn't ask about anyone else, so asked quickly, "Are Spock and Uhura alright as well?"  Then felt tension build in her stomach again as she waited for the response.

She didn't wait long as Jim replied, "Yeah, we're all good.  We ran into some issues, but nothing that needs explained right now.  We'll be back in about fifteen," then the line cut off.

She sighed in relief again and looked over at Sulu and Leonard and smiled what felt like her first genuine smile in quite a while.  They both smiled in return, then Leonard chuckled before saying, "Thank God we know they're alright.  You were gonna pace a hole through the floor of this ship if it took them much longer."

For a moment, she was able to pretend that there wasn't awkwardness between the two of them and stuck her tongue out at him, as childish as she knew it was.  He laughed in response and she could feel the ache in her heart as she thought about how wonderful he looked with that carefree smile on his face, and wished it was there more often than the scowl he wore frequently.

They stared at each other for a moment, smiling at each other, and it was peaceful to feel like everything was going to be okay, but Sulu called them back to reality by saying, "You two should report to med bay.  The captain may need you there."

That was all it took to break them out of their moment.  Kate saw an awkward look pass over Leonard's features before she could almost see him building up a protective wall again.  She felt disappointment at seeing that change come over him, but tried to let it pass as she replied, "Yes sir," before saying quietly to Sulu as Leonard walked away, "You really did great.   Jim left the ship in good hands," and following behind Leonard to med bay.

Kate was grateful that she had stayed behind to say something to Sulu, as that meant she was on a different lift to med bay, and didn't have to be in a small confined space with Leonard.  It was beginning to be unbearable again, how crazy their relationship was.  It was almost as if Leonard couldn't decide if he loved Kate or hated her, and she just wished he would make up his mind instead of driving her crazy.

She wasn't in med bay long when the communicator went off and she heard Jim's voice say, "Kate, Bones, I need you to meet me in the brig."

She heard Leonard reply, "We'll be right there," so she went and joined him.