27. I Do

3 Months Later
As soon as Kate and Leonard could after they got engaged, they went to Admiral Barnett's office to discuss when they would be able to get married and be on leave together before getting back on the Enterprise.  As the end of a quarter was just three months away, they set a date to get married after the quarter ended so they could spend quality time together before having to get back to life as chief medical officers on a star ship.

It had been incredibly stressful to plan a wedding in three months, but with Leonard and Kate working together with the help of her mom and Nyota, they managed to pull everything together for a small ceremony the weekend after the quarter ended.  Neither of them wanted a large affair, just something they could have their friends and family members at.  After considering all the places they could have the wedding, the ultimately decided on the gazebo at Golden Gate Park they had gone to on their first date.  It was a beautiful location overlooking the water and it held a special memory for them.

So, between teaching, grading, and planning for a wedding, three months passed by in the blink of an eye and Kate found herself standing in front of a full length mirror taking in her appearance.  Nyota had insisted, even though she was serving as the maid of honor, that she was also going to be Kate's stylist for the day, and now, looking at the finished product, Kate was glad she had agreed.  Her hair was styled into an elegant bun and her make up was better than she could have ever hoped to achieve on her own.  Her favorite part, though, was the dress she was wearing.

After trying on what felt like a thousand dresses, the stylist at the wedding boutique pulled out something that was completely different than any of the other dresses she had tried on.  She had been determined that she was going to wear an A-line wedding dress, but was disappointed with each new dress she put on.  So the stylist reassured her, she was just pulling something to change things up and give Kate a new perspective.   As soon as it was on all the way, Kate knew it was the dress.  It hugged her every curve without being too tight, and was lightweight and covered in delicate lace.  Nyota and her mother had both cried when they saw her in it, and it was the first time she felt like a bride the whole day.

Now seeing everything pulled together, she was so glad the stylist had suggested something different than what she wanted and couldn't wait to see Leonard's reaction to seeing her for the first time today.  As she was smoothing down her dress to calm her nerves, Kate saw Nyota come up behind her in the mirror, dressed and ready for the wedding.  She whistled and said, "Damn, girl, McCoy isn't gonna know what he did to get so lucky."

Kate laughed and turned around to face her best friend and said, "You're really the best, Nyota.  I couldn't have done this without you."

Nyota shrugged as she said, "I know."

The two laughed for a moment before Nyota asked, "You ready for this?"

Kate smiled brightly and nodded before saying, "I don't think I've ever been so ready for something in my life.  I'm nervous,  but it's mostly because I can't wait to see him."

Nyota hugged her tightly and said, "Good," then switched to business mode and said, "Now, your mom and Jim will be here shortly, then we'll get started in just about ten minutes.  Can you believe it?"

Kate shook her head and felt her stomach fill with butterflies as the door opened and her mom and Jim came in.  As soon as Winona saw her, her eyes filled with tears and she said, "Oh, honey, you look so beautiful," then hugged her tightly.

Kate hugged her back and said, "Thanks, mom," before pulling away and saying, "But you can't make me cry right now!"

Winona wiped away a few tears and nodded before saying, "I know, I know.  I just can't believe this is happening and I can't help but wish your father was here.  He should be here," she finished with a tone of sadness creeping into her voice.