Chapter 22: The Effects of Wolfsbane

Dumbledore's lecture gave me Ollivander vibes when writing this... I tried to keep his speech patterns Dumbledore-oriented but it kept slipping into Ollivander...

James holds the torch high above his head, lighting the path ahead for him and The Marauders. "I don't like this, not at all," Remus admits, staring at the black walls that crumble to the touch. Something can be heard dripping somewhere, too loud and aggressive to be mere echo. This must be one of the oldest parts of the castle, deep underground where the light from above doesn't reach. Lost and forgotten to the world. "Are you sure this tunnel is safe?"

"How sure is sure?" James gulps, unable to reassure his friend. This was meant to be a quick, easy adventure. Get to the vault where exam papers are kept, peek at a few questions, maybe take some back if they won't be missed to memorise and practice. Then get out. Instead it's turning into a frightening voyage through haunted catacombs. They wouldn't be surprised if a poltergeist lives here but it's a chance they must take. The opportunity to cheat on their OWLS is too tempting to pass up over superstitious fear. "At least they don't guard the papers anymore,"

James laughs, trying to lift everyone's spirits. That is something to be relieved over. He recalls the tales his father used to tell him of Fluffy the menacing 3-headed dog the castle used to keep guarding its valuables. More ferocious than Cerberus. He never did find out if those stories were real or legend.

The Marauders arrive at the mouth of the passageway, turning the corner that ends the darkness. The passage is hidden behind a faux oil painting hung on the wall, taller than a doorway. Shadows pass beyond the paint but they don't think anything of it - the light is clearly from a window to the outdoors. If their map and Severus' routes were correct, this should open onto the vault. James swings open the picture frame to reveal Dumbledore standing there, draped in his day robes. They all freeze and exchange knowing glances. There's no uncertainty as to what's happening here - everybody knows.

James is convinced that the headmaster wears those glasses and that beard so his face remains unreadable - the man's emotions are a mystery and that makes him seem omniscient. As if he knows everything about you but he himself is a dignified enigma.

"Going somewhere, were you?" his eyes twinkle and he smile subtly.

James senses the fear of his friends. Sirius isn't even breathing, he's standing at the back hoping he blends into the darkness. Peter looks like he's wet himself. Remus is a little less embarrassing, wearing only a slightly worried frown and hunching his shoulders in hidden shame. With a deep breath and a courageous façade James steps forward as representative martyr. "Yes, Professor Dumbledore. To the vault,"

A collective terrified inhale can be felt against his back. The Marauders simultaneously impressed by him and wondering if he's insane.

Dumbledore nods, as if it confirms his thoughts.

"Mr Potter, please walk with me. The rest of you return to your dorms... please," he asks respectfully. His ghostly form hovers away from the door. James nods in support and urges them to obey - not that any of them would defy the headmaster. James follows Dumbledore on a slow, long walk through the castle. They climb floor after floor, the staircases never ending. This isn't an area he remembers, one he didn't even know exists.

Dumbledore stops walking suddenly, a little ahead of James. The student takes respite and leans against the wall. He waits for something, whatever he's been brought here for. "Do you know why I stopped you tonight?"

James whistles, listing off all his transgressions in his head. Using unofficial passages and the most basic Hogwarts rule of being outside the commonroom after hours. But he knows to only mention the main one otherwise a very long and convoluted lecture on each one will follow. "Trying to cheat on the OWLS,"