Chapter 9: Beginninng the Christmas Break

Harry sighs, standing before the castle under an ashy sky, awaiting the Hogwarts express among hoards of eager, chatting students. The Christmas holidays have finally arrived and excitement consumes the halls of Hogwarts, and James is returning home to spend Christmas with Hermione. "Oh, here," he hands James a few gold coins, which clink in his hand. "Sorry for assigning homework during the Christmas holidays but your OWLS are this year and it never hurts to prepare,"

"It's fine, Dad," James grins, gripping the handle of his trunk as a small sliver of steam rises from the distance. "My year of full of dunderheads and they need all the help they can get!"

"That's not why I assigned it," Harry grumbles to himself, glaring at the bright carriages which slide before them, screeching to a stop. "Look, just try and have fun this holiday. Don't worry about your mother or me or anything. It'll work out, whatever the outcome,"

"So far it seems to have 'worked out' by you ignoring each other," James jumps onto the train before Harry can object, and he's left standing alone on the platform. From somewhere down the track Hagrid's booming voice carries through the vast countryside.

"All aboard! Hurry up now, the train's leavin'!" Harry debates jumping into the train to talk about that, but the wheels are already turning.

That evening, Harry's more than surprised when McGonnagal appears at his classroom door. "Ha- eh, Professor Potter. You do have a detention to supervise,"

"Really?" Harry places his quill down, spearing some ink over the assignments he'd planned to spend his holiday marking. So, the Slytherin boy stays here during the holidays. He surmises. Honestly, he catches himself wondering about Severus Snape more and more with each interaction they have. Whatever brief moments they've spent together has raised more questions in his mind about what exactly goes on inside the mind of this young Slytherin. He's fascinating, if anything.

"You're late,"

Is exactly what Harry hears when he reaches the library. Severus is leaning against the pillar, arms crossed loosely over his chest. Slim fingers twirl a stray lock of black hair between them, and the scent of stale cigarette smoke wafts from his body, mixed with an odd bleachy chemical aroma. It's a mixture of smells Harry finds oddly enticing. Not pleasant, but it's a scent that draws him in. "And cigarettes aren't allowed in this school," Harry counters as he unlocks the library doors, smiling up at the tall student. "I won't tell if you won't,"

Severus just ignores him, honestly done with life today. Pushing past his shoulder and into the library, he stands by the table, looking bored and awaiting whatever assignment he's going to get. "Look, it's the holidays and I have work to do," Harry sighs. "I don't feel like supervising anything. You can read or do whatever, just stay in the library,"

Severus nods and wanders away, staring at the hand-written parchment hovering by the isles, detailing the book genres. Finding nothing in the main library, he uses his Restricted Section access privilege to bypass the locked fence. Not looking for anything in particular, a book bound in blue velvet catches his eye, in an isle he didn't read the genres for. He grabs it from the shelf - no title. Sitting against the shelf, for there aren't any benches in this section, he opens it and begins to read. It's not an academic book, but one on the history of dark magic committed by Hogwarts alumni infamous for their crimes. Something he's developed quite an interest in.

Severus sits against the shelf and reads, getting so engrossed in his book he barely notices when Harry appears at the end of the isle. "What do you want?" He asks tersely.

"Is that any way to speak to your teacher?" Harry grins, picking a random book from the shelf. He tosses it between his hands before placing it back, the wrong way around. Severus notices, and feels a crawling annoyance over is skin. Like an itch under his skin. "And to answer - I want to know why you hate me so much,"