Chapter 15: Coming of Age

January 6th is Severus' 16th birthday. It's also the day the Christmas break ends and Hogwarts is once again crowed with excitable students showing off new winter gear, suitcases, trunks and pets along with whatever bright sparkling new trend is the go-to present this year. Christmas isn't celebrated in the Wizarding world to the extent that Muggles do but even the smallest and briefest of festivities somehow get turned into parties when magic is involved. Harry theorises it's a survival mechanism from the time of the Death Eaters. Their world is finally free so they express that freedom in its extreme and use any excuse they can to show off that freedom. Harry admires it as one of the few aspects of Wizarding culture he applauds.

Classes are a noisy waste of time on the first day back and Harry is more than happy to ease his students back into Hogwarts life by giving them a free period. He takes the time to catch up on the Prophet articles he never read over Christmas until the clock chimes and the students disperse for their next classes. Severus still sneaks out that secluded archway in the side of the wall, avoiding James even after they spent almost the entire holiday being civil. "Miss Evans? Could you stay behind please?" he asks nicely, folding up his paper and straightening in his seat. He peers over his glasses at the enthusiastic student who skips up to his desk.

Lily Evans, the daughter of Muggles is one of the brightest and most diligent students in the year and one of Harry's favourites. She gives him a polite smile as long red hair drapes over her shoulders and bunches up under her scarf. "Yes, Mr Potter?" she asks.

"You know Severus stayed over at my house during the Christmas holidays," Harry paces around to the front of his desk and sits on it. "And you're his best friend. What would he want for a birthday present?" 

Harry has no idea what Severus would want. His meagre number of necessities are all he has and aren't inspiring him. He knows some of Severus' interests but 'astronomy and potions' doesn't give much scope to work with for a birthday present. Maybe a decorative solar system model? He scolds himself. that's lame. 

"A birthday present, sir?" Lily frowns and Harry watches the wheels turn in her head behind her focused eyes. Lily knows he stayed over yes but when she asked Severus for details he became flustered and vague. Startled by her questions he snapped irritated answers or got defensive. She knew he was acting weird and now the professor is asking about his birthday. Despite her curiosity she still considers Harry's request.

"If I were you sir," she clutches the strap of her satchel. "I wouldn't get him anything,"

"Why?" Harry tilts his head.

"Severus doesn't like birthdays sir, he doesn't celebrate them. I'm his best friend - I don't even get him anything," she chuckles a little.

So many things about Severus just sadden Harry and this is one of them. He keeps drawing parallels between them and remembers when his Aunt and Uncle gifted him with a pair of old socks and nothing else. If Severus' birthdays haven't ever been celebrated of course he won't be interested in a present now. "I see, thank you. And Miss Evans - er, may I call you Lily?"

"Yes sir,"

Harry gives her a grin and a thumbs up. "Thanks, that could've been a disaster,"

"...Alright," Lily nods stiffly and hurries off to her next class once excused. Her mind reels with the vast expanse of possibilities but not one seems to fit. She cannot think why a professor would be acting that way, she's never seen it happen before. Not just the birthday present thing, but even Mr Potter calling Severus by his first name. Hogwarts professors don't do that - they remain detached as the perilous nature of the Wizarding world make permanency in the closest of relationships hard to solidify.