chapter thirteen • NC-17

"I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable, and strangely easy to mistake for loathing."
- Neil Gaiman

"- Neil Gaiman

Things are about to get steamy!

Zayna leads me up the windy staircase to her apartment. She unlocks the door, pushes me inside, and slams it shut. I reach for the light switch, but she bats my hand away, instructing me not to worry about it.

Her delicate fingers start on my jacket, masterfully pulling the zipper down and sliding it off my shoulders.

"Hi," I whisper, gazing into her golden eyes.

"I want you, Bowie," she murmurs, staring back at me.

"Fuck, I want you, too."

I pull her toward me and kiss her for the first time. Her lips are soft and tender, just like I imagined they'd be. She kisses me harder, snaking her arms around my neck to pull me closer.

"Bowie." Her voice is husky as she pulls away. "Bowie, I—"

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"I'm perfect," she answers, flashing an angelic smile.

Yes. Yes, she fucking is.

"I just, um... well, I was wondering," she goes on, "if you've been tested recently? I'm on birth control, so we don't have to use a condom if you don't want to, but if you're unsure, or if you're concerned about anything, then—"

"I'm clean," I assure her. I've never gone bareskin with a girl before. The idea makes me as hard as a rock.

Her face lights up. "Okay, good."

"I do need to go over something with you, though," I say, recalling my mandatory pre-sex checklist.

"Sure," she replies with a giggle. "What do you have to go over?"

"Have you been drinking?"

"Huh?"

"I like to ask a series of questions before I sleep with somebody. So... have you been drinking?"