Chapter Sixteen, Part One

Chapter Sixteen

“We’re here,” James announced, jumping out of the car in an instant, leaving Yasmine, who had been sleeping on his shoulder, plummeting to the hard cement ground of his driveway. “Oops.”

“Ow!” Yasmine yelled, trying to move but her seat belt trapping her. She could feel a bruise forming on her head. Releasing herself from the seat, she got out of the car as Joe drove the car away to park it. “Thanks for dropping me,” she said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry,” he chuckled. “I’m just really excited to bring a girl home.”

“Really?” she asked, surprised. “Am I going to meet your parents?” Yasmine still didn’t know that his parents were together anymore.

James shoved his hands in his pockets and walked up the large metal gates which had a little keypad on the brick wall. “My parents aren’t together. Just me and my dad,” he answered, looking down.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know,” she apologized. Yasmine understood how he felt. It was really hard to talk about your parent that wasn’t there anymore. Guilt came over her. Without thinking, she wrapped her arms around him.

“Yasmine?” James sounded surprised.

“I’m so sorry. I know what it feels like to talk about your mom.” Her grip tightened around him. His hands were still in his pockets, not hugging her back. All they could hear was silence.

“Thanks,” James finally said, breaking the quiet, awkward atmosphere. “You’re probably the first person to think so. Other people just pity me.”

A smile broke onto Yasmine’s lips after knowing she was making him feel better. “Now, let’s go in your house.”

“Okay,” James smiled, and quickly tapped the numbers in the little keypad. There was a small beeping noise before the metal doors whooshed and automatically opened.

“Wow,” was all Yasmine could say. “This is so cool! Your doors just opened by—“ She was cut off after seeing his house—or mansion.

It was about five stories high, fairly wide, and had a lot of Greek-styled pillars. The entire house was white. Yasmine could’ve mistaken it for the white house! There was a curvy driveway with some latest cars parked there. In the middle of the curved driveway was a beautiful water fountain.

“This is so pretty!” Yasmine exclaimed. “You’re so lucky to live here!”

They walked side by side across the large lawn and the curved driveway until they reached the front marble steps. “Not really,” James said, sounding bored. “It’s actually kind of lonely here. Dad’s always flying from place to place on business, so it’s really lonely. I prefer your house better.”

“My house?!” she yelled, pointing to her chest.

“Yeah.” James unlocked the front door. “Its more cozy and warm.”

As the door flung open, about twenty maids and butlers were on each side, their faces plastered with smiles. “Welcome home, master!” they all greeted.

James took Yasmine’s hand and walked down what felt like the red carpet. She felt like a superstar, being greeted by so many people.

“Hello Sally, Cathie, Mary, Leah,” James greeted back as he walked past every single one of them.

Yasmine stared at him in shock. He actually remembered all their names? What a cute thing to do.

After reaching the last of the servants, there was a huge set of stairs. It was a giant one that separated into separate ones that went in different ways. Yasmine thought of them as the staircases like in the movies where princesses would walk down during an important party.