Ten Minutes

After what happened in Ba Sing Se, down in the crystal caves, when Zuko chose his "honor" over me, over his own uncle... well, I don't really know what's happened since then. 

I've been locked up in the brig of a large Fire Nation ship with which I'll be taken directly to the Fire Lord. All I know is Zuko and Azula are on this very ship, further than that, I don't know a thing. I haven't seen daylight in weeks. I lost count of the days that have past since leaving Ba Sing Se. I'm pretty sure Aang was killed by that lightning bolt and that Katara made it out. 

What's most heartbreaking is that I saw this coming. The first time I had a swirl of visions attacking me in my sleep, the last thing I remember seeing was Zuko not hesitating to betray me. But when he woke me up from that, he told me not to worry. He comforted me. And since long before that, he gave me reasons to trust him, to love him.

And now, he's up there, in glory, in honor, in the spotlight, while I'm confined down here with barely the company of my own thoughts with my hands and feet restrained tightly.

I really wish Iroh was here. I could really use his wisdom, his presence. I remember how he'd finish a deep conversation with a caring hug, a hug that would let me know things would be alright, because I lit up the tunnel I was going through, and that was all I needed. But right now, I don't see that light. I can't make that light on my own. And I don't even know where Iroh is.

My closed eyes suddenly open when the sound of the metal door being unlocked interrupts my thoughts. However, my gaze doesn't lift up. I have no reason to look at any of these good-for-nothing Fire Nation minions. Whoever is at the door right now, they're not saying anything. It's as if they were staring at me in pity, or in horror, since I'm basically a freak.

"We'll be home soon," I hear his voice.

My eyes close once more. He's the last person I'll want to make contact with.

"Will you still not talk to me?" Zuko asks me calmly.

I don't speak.

After a while, I hear Zuko scoff, annoyed. "If anything, I gave you the chance to live. If we had gone any other way, Azula would have killed you the way she killed the Avatar."

Again, I refuse to say anything.

"You have the opportunity to live for something new here," he says. "If you just saw it that way... you wouldn't even have to be imprisoned."

That does it. I look up and glare at Zuko, who looks back at me with a near-blank expression.

"I don't think like you," I tell him. "You chose wrong, Zuko."

Zuko remains silent at my response as I continue looking at him. He takes a breath as though he was about to say something, but someone approaches him and draws his attention. It's a tall, slim girl our age with thick black hair that has a small bun on each upper side and bangs.

"I'm tired of waiting for you," she says monotonously. "Go back upstairs, you knew coming down here was pointless."

The girl places her hands on Zuko's shoulders. Her hands snake around his chest so that she's hugging him now, and she kisses him on the lips.

My eyes inevitably widen at the sight of Zuko kissing another woman in front of me, as though I really didn't mean that much. When they break the kiss, Zuko looks at me, but I don't even want to make any expression of his face right now. All I can manage to do is look back down at the ground. I won't be able to handle looking at him any longer.

A very deep and very hidden part in my heart still kind of hopes Zuko will say something else, something that'll try to fix this whole mess, but he doesn't say another word and I hear the door closing and locking once more. When it does, I break down. Tears run down my eyes like waterfalls and I struggle to keep in my weeping.