Threatened

Weeks. It has been weeks since we were in the North Pole. We've barely had food to eat, water to drink. Relying solely on fish and firebending to get something to satisfy our basic needs and not give up.

It has not been easy, but sticking together is what's made it bearable. Because of all the spare time, Iroh has been teaching me more of the basics on Lightning bending. Why my lightning is absent of light is still a mystery to me, but my biggest concern right now is learning to control it.

After the long time out at sea, we arrive at the Fire Nation once more and Iroh takes us to a medium-sized complex completely dedicated to relaxation. I have to say, it's a very nice place, and quite a sight for sore eyes.

We've been here for only a day. Iroh's enjoying himself; recieving massages, drinking tea, meditating. I've joined in on some of that myself, and even Zuko's kept us company, despite these being things we wouldn't really see him doing.

But today he's more quiet than usual, and he looks deep in thought. He's barely responding to anything we say, as if he's just mad, stuck inside his own head.

I know what a pain that can be, so I just try to be there for him. After an entire day of him being like this, I make Zuko a cup of tea with Iroh's help and take it up to a small balcony where Zuko is standing on his own and looking out at the sea. I give the door frame a gentle knock to inform Zuko of my presence. He looks at me and gives me a faint-hearted smile. I walk up to him and lean on the balcony with him.

I hold the cup of tea for him and he takes it.

"Thanks," he says.

He takes a sip from the tea and looks at the cup once he's tasted it.

"It's frutal," he points out.

"Yeah," I say. "Iroh has been teaching me about tea... how to make it, we've been tasting some new flavors. I've found I like frutal tea a lot more than herbal tea."

"It tastes nice," Zuko says and continues drinking.

I smile at him and look as he keeps drinking the tea.

"Zuko?" 

"Yeah?"

"What happened?" I ask him. "You've been quieter than usual."

Zuko sighs and he looks away.

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me," I tell him. "Just know that I'll listen, okay?"

I'm about to walk back inside to give him some privacy when he takes my hand.

"It's okay," he says. "I want to share this with you."

I gently place my hand on his shoulder and look up at him.

"Three years ago today, my father banished me from the Fire Nation," he says.

"Oh..." I say and hug him. "I'm sorry, Zuko."

He hugs me back and we part the embrace to look back at the distance. 

"I was at a war meeting," Zuko says. "I talked back to a general, which was an offense. I had to duel him, in theory, but I wound up duelling my father in an Agni Kai."

"Is... is that how-"

"Yes," Zuko respons, knowing I was talking about his scar. "My father gave me this scar."

But that's just cruel!

"Zuko, I'm so sorry you went through that," I say. 

Zuko remains silent and continues looking out at the distance.