Chapter 7

"When did you decide to come back?" Alex asked, his voice quiet.
"When my husband died," Norma said, scrunching her nose in disgust.
"Why do you say it like that?" Alex questioned, raising an eyebrow.
"Like what?" Norma asked back as she grabbed the house key from her pocket.
"Like you were disgusted and relieved," Alex replied.
Norma stopped for a minute before she sighed and pushed open the front door. She blew off what Alex had said and opened the second door.
"Where do I put the box," Alex asked, looking around the large house.
Norma walked closer to the box and saw "kitchen" written on the top.
"This way," Norma said, walking towards the kitchen in the dark house.
Once in the kitchen, she turned the light on and looked at the dirty area. Alex put the box on the table and turned to Norma.
He examined her. She looked beautiful and he couldn't believe she came back to the small town of White Pine Bay.
"What?" Norma asked, keeping her face neutral.
"You look amazing," Alex replied.
Norma felt tears come to her eyes but she didn't want him to see her like that.
"Let's go back to the car to get more stuff," Norma whispered, walking out of the kitchen.
Alex faltered. After only five years, they were pretending not to have feelings for each other. Well, she was pretending; he was making it completely obvious. Wasn't he?
-
"Alright, last box," Alex stated, putting the box down in Norma's room.
"Thank you," Norma thanked, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear.
"Is there anything else you need help with?" Alex asked, looking at Norma with bright eyes.
"It's one in the morning, isn't it time for you guys to go?" Norma chuckled
"Well, I don't mind it. I can just hail a cab or something," Alex responded
"Maybe tomorrow I'll need some help, but I'll let you know," Norma said, giving a playful eye roll.
"Alright, here," Alex said, grabbing his pen and a piece of paper from the desk.
He wrote his number down and handed Norma the pen afterward. Norma wrote her number down and gave the pen back, then fixing Norman's position in her arms.
The two then had a staring contest, neither wanting to break it. They had spent so much time apart and the spark between them was still burning. It would never die out, they loved each other to pieces even if it didn't show.
"What did he do?" Alex asked, his voice low.
Norma sighed and looked at the freshly made bed Alex had helped her make. She didn't want to tell Alex she was abused but it was hard to lie to him.
"Abuse," Norma whispered, laying Norman down.
"What?" Alex asked, looking for Norma's eyes.
"He abused me in every way possible. He didn't care for me. The sad thing was that I didn't do anything to stop it. And the entire time, I thought about-" Norma was cut off.
"Sheriff, it's getting late," Deputy Johnson stated, poking his head into the bedroom.
"Alright, go to the car. I'll meet you there," Alex said
"Okay, goodnight Mrs. Bates," The deputy said, then leaving.
Norma looked back at Alex who was watching her.
"You thought about what?" Alex asked
"You should probably go back to the car. You don't want to keep your deputy waiting," Norma responded, feeling shy.
Alex stepped closer to Norma who stood her ground. She felt the need to grab him and kiss him. Her need grew when they were now inches apart.
"You thought about what?" Alex asked.
Norma gave up, "You.".
Alex smiled his largest smile, "I've thought about you too.".
Norma looked at her hands and smiled, knowing that he thought about her too.
"Did you get married?" Norma asked
"I did but it only lasts about two months before we finally got divorced," Alex replied, lifting Norma's face up with his index finger.
They got closer without realizing and their lips were closer than ever, and right as they were about to kiss each other, Norman started to cry.
Norma pulled away from Alex and picked Norman up. He quieted down quickly making Norma sigh in relief. Alex watched Norma with a smile.
"Want to hold him?" Norma asked, smiling softly.
"A-are you sure?" Alex asked, feeling nervous.
Norma nodded as she got closer to Alex. As soon as they got close enough, Norma slowly put the sleeping baby in Alex's arms. Alex froze, scared to drop the baby.
Norma giggled, "You aren't going to drop him. I promise you won't.".
Alex nodded and then looked down. He never really thought he would be holding Norma's child. Of course, he's thought about having children with Norma but when he moved back to White Pine Bay, she wasn't there. He came back to town early because he didn't want to stay away from her any longer.
After a minute of holding and admiring the baby, Alex gave him back.
"I should get going, but call me if you need anything," Alex said, staring at Norma who seemed to lose her smile.
"I will, thank you," Norma replied, nodding her head.
Alex got closer to Norma and hugged her lightly, breathing in her lavender and peppermint scent.
Norma wrapped her free arm around Alex's waist and laid her head on his chest. She felt the same happiness she did years ago. He made her feel loved and safe.
"I missed you so much," Alex whispered, using the little courage he had at that moment.
Norma grabbed onto the back of Alex's shirt and pulled him closer to her.
After a few seconds, Norma pulled back, "Your deputy is waiting, Sheriff.".
Alex chuckled, "I'll come to check up on you guys tomorrow morning,"
"Okay," Norma whispered.
Alex smiled and waved goodbye as he walked out of the room. When she heard the front door close, she sat on the bed and sighed. She set Norman down in the middle of the bed and walked out of the room, looking for Dylan who was exploring the house.
———————
Like & Comment! 💛