Chapter 4

A couple of days had passed and it was finally the day Alex turned eighteen. He could care less but Norma was ecstatic. She had a night planned for him and she hoped that he would remember everything about it forever.
"It's almost ten p.m., Norma! Where are we going?" Alex laughed as Norma pulled him through the field they always hung out in.
"It's a surprise, so cover your eyes," Norma demanded with a giggle.
Alex rolled his eyes playfully and chuckled, doing as his girlfriend said. After a couple of minutes had passed, Alex started to get tired of walking.
"Are we there yet?" Alex asked.
Norma nodded even though Alex couldn't see, "We're here, but keep your eyes closed."
"Alright," Alex smiled.
Norma let go of Alex's hand and went to get something. In less than a minute, she was back with the biggest smile.
"Open your eyes," Norma whispered, her adrenaline rushing.
Alex opened his eyes and moved his hand, looking down at Norma and looked at what was in her hands. A cupcake with one, bright candle. Alex smiled and a rush of emotions coursed through him. Happiness and sadness.
"Make a wish," Norma whispered, examining Alex's facial expression.
Alex nodded and kept his smile, "I wish to marry the beautiful girl in front of me.".
With that, Alex blew out the candle and looked Norma in the eyes. Alex went to kiss her but she shoved the cupcake in his face and laughed harder than she ever had.
While Norma was laughing, Alex had decided to get her back by pulling her to him and kissing her. Norma had been forced to stop laughing and kissed Alex back, deeply. Wrapping her arms around him, she pulled him closer, wanting to feel his body against hers.
After kissing, Norma pulled away and giggled, "You got frosting all over my face!"
"It's your fault! You're the one who shoved it in my face!" Alex laughed.
Norma rolled her eyes and pulled away from Alex, grabbing his hand and leading him to the tree they hung out at.
"We're gonna stay here tonight?" Alex asked, smiling wildly.
"Of course," Norma replied, grabbing a lantern and turning it on.
She walked around and turned on the rest of them; including the ones that hung from the low tree that held their treehouse.
"Under the tree?" Alex asked
"No, we'll sleep inside the treehouse but we're eating under the tree," Norma replied, sitting down on a red picnic blanket. Alex moved over to Norma and sat next to her as she started pulling food out of a wooden basket.
"I made spaghetti and I brought some bread," Norma said, organizing the area.
"Thank you," Alex whispered, grabbing a napkin from the pile Norma had brought.
Norma looked up at Alex and gave him a small smile, "You're welcome.".
Alex didn't say anything. Too lost in the electric blue eyes that claimed him.
"Nobody's ever done this for me before, except my mom, but I was a child," Alex whispered, finally breaking the silence.
Norma examined his demeanor and gave him a sympathetic look, "I love you and I always will. I love to make food for you and I'll always be extra for your birthday," Norma laughed, then leaning over and placing the softest kiss on his lips.
She then pulled back and smiled, looking down at the food.
"Let's eat before the food loses all of its heat," Norma laughed.
-
The school year had passed faster than the couple had thought. It was now the beginning of May and everything seemed fine but for Norma and Alex, it wasn't.
Their family issues had gotten worse; Alex's mother was taking more pills than she had been and he tried to get her to stop but she wouldn't listen. Norma was constantly getting sick; she had had an argument with her father. He told her that if she were
pregnant that he would kill her, Norma promised she wasn't pregnant but she hadn't taken a pregnancy test.
Norma now sat in the bathroom, holding back her loud sobs as she held the piece of plastic in her hand. She knew it was bound to happen and she knew exactly how it happened. Norma was no slut, she had never truly had sex but she did get assaulted; that's how she was pregnant.
As she started to calm down, she decided to talk to Alex. He would know what to do, or at least, they could make some sort of plan together.
This thought made Norma feel more at ease, so she got up, washed her hands and smeared makeup, and ran out of her house.
As soon as she ran outside and off the porch, she saw police cars and an ambulance parked outside of Alex's house. Alex stood on the porch, his face red and puffy from crying.
"Alex?" Norma called, trying to get his attention.
He ignored her, she would make him breakdown again. He heard her call his name and her shoes hitting the pavement as she ran to him. Alex groaned and quickly walked down the porch steps.
"Alex, what's wrong?" Norma asked, looking at him and then the police vehicles.
Alex didn't respond.
"Baby, what's wrong? You can tell me," Norma whispered, wiping tears from Alex's cheeks.
"Go home," Alex said, pulling Norma's hands away from his face.
"What?" Norma asked, ignoring the feeling of heartbreak.
"Go! Leave! Just leave me alone!" Alex yelled.
Norma backed away, tears coming to her eyes as she saw Alex get mad at her. She slowly backed away from him and then turned around, running to her house and slamming the door shut. Nobody was home, except her sedated mother who could care less about her broken daughter.
Norma ran to her room and grabbed a bag. She packed up most of her clothes and all the necessary things needed. She then ran to her parent's room and ran to the bed where her mother was lazily looking at the ceiling.
Norma grabbed a wooden box and opened it, grabbing hundreds of dollars that her father greedily hid from his family. She then shoved it in her bag and ran out of the house, quickly glancing at Alex who was watching the vehicles leaving. He then looked at Norma; he looked as if he were about to burst into tears.
Alex desperately wanted to go to Norma and hold her. He wanted to apologize for his outburst and he was about to go to her, but she ran down the street and quickly left his sight.
——————
Like & Comment! 💛