Prologue:The Reaping

I opened my eyes to the stinging
sunlight.

Another day in Panem, another day of torture from the Capitol.

To my left, was my 12 year old sister, Sarah. She was sound asleep.

Her strawberry blonde hair was so long and her eyes were so light blue and doll like, it was crazy that we were sisters.

No. Crazy that the people in the bed across from me were my parents.

Everyone in district 9 said our family was beautiful. Even though they never said so, I knew when they said 'family' they meant the cute little girl and the parents, not the weird looking 15 year old.

I was classified as a weirdo at my school, a passing face. The only friend I ever had was Mary Gardener. She was very pretty. Her hair was dusty brown and curly while her eyes were a light green. The only reason we ever were friends is because she was my neighbor and our parents were co-workers. As we grew older, she became popular. Now that we were 15, we only engaged in a real conversation while walking home from school together.

My parents were harvesters, and even though we were poor, we managed to not use one tessera.

We were making it.

"Sarah," I said, thumping her on the forehead, in order to wake her up,

Her eyes opened widely.

"They called my name, Evelyn! I'm going to die!" she screamed loud enough to wake my parents.

"Bad dream." I mouthed to them.

"It was a dream, Sarah." I said.

"I'm just scared." she replied.

"Your name was entered once." I joked, trying to make her less stressed.

Her concerned face faded a little.

She sighed.

"Let's get ready," my mom said.

She put me in a beige lace dress, white flats, a bow necklace, and put my hair in a bun.

We began walking to the Justice Building, stopping at the Gardener house to walk together.

When we got there, a woman with orange hair, a tangerine suit, and 9 inch death heals was waiting. Her face was pale, and her makeup was a neon orange so bright that it burned my retinas. Ah...the famous Amira Loveheart that I saw every year.

Rayna Carson was waiting on the side of the stage. She was the mentor for the tributes yet to be chosen. She won at 17.

Mary was on my right, Sarah on my left. I decided to squeeze both of their hands.

She introduced the Reaping and showed the program about the Dark Days.

I didn't pay attention because I'd seen it every year. I could say it in my sleep if I wanted. I tried my best to look attentive, because anything could get you in trouble in Panem.

As soon as it ended, I payed close attention.

I was just ready for all the anxiety to end.

"Ladies first," she said, with a bright smile.

You're sick!

I thought.

She reached her hand in the clear ball and took out a slip.

"Evelyn Ross!" she said.

Mary looked at me with a shocked face.

"No, no, no, no!" Sarah said, gradually getting louder.

I dug my nails into her hand, warning her to shut up.

She got the memo and didn't say another word.

I released their hands and walked to the stage.

She smiled at me as if she'd reaped my name for a pair of golden shoes.

What an honor! I'm so thankful to die! I thought.

"And for the boys!"

She took out a slip once again.

"Evan Blackwood!"

A boy with black hair and blue eyes walked up, obviously nervous.
I got nervous all over again.

Evan was the most liked guy at school.

.....And I might've had a huge crush on him. Aww that's great.

"Hey, Evan I've pretty much been in love with you ever since I've layed eyes you, now let's fight to the death!"

How great would that confession be?!

What a great life I have!

"Shake hands!" Amira said.