2. Blood

I fall to the gravel road hard and try to regain my vision. When I look to my right I see Calix has caught up with me and is helping me off the ground. As my two feet stand straight, I look forward to see a Guard glaring down at me. I don’t want to end up like my parents; I still have Athinia to take care of! I think to myself.  I can’t hear much of anything, and I’m still pretty dizzy, but I can hear a lot of yelling. I try to help with the situation, but soon everything goes silent. I don’t feel Calixs arms around me anymore, but I can stand. My vision slowly comes back too and so does my hearing. I take a step back and notice Calix has been punched by the Guard! His face bleeds badly and he doesn’t look too good…

 “Why did you run into me,” the Guard yells holding me up by my shirt collar.

“I was just going home,” I say shakily. My feet don’t touch the ground, and I feel like I’m going to die right here. Which most likely will happen.

“Well you violated one of the laws, you know that right.” he says throwing me back onto the ground next to Calix. I stutter at the blood which now comes from me as well.

“I didn’t mean to…” my voice slurs off as I realize I need to stick up for Calix; he was the one who helped me. “Why did you hit him,” I yell, but soon regret saying it. The Guard gets a small slip of paper out and writes down something. I ignore that and look back at Calix. I touch his head and notice the amount of blood-from him hitting the concrete ground.

“Are you ok,” I say to Calix in a whisper. His eyes flit open almost as if he had passed out and just regained his second wind -which most likely happened.

“Yeah...I-I’ll be alright, a-are you ok,” Calix says in a slur choppy voice.

“Yes, but I’m not the one bleeding as much as you are,” I say to him. Calix touches his cheek and then draws his hand back to him.

“Oh I am,” he says to me frantically. There is no pause at all before the Guard starts yelling again.

“Get up both of you,” I help Calix and we both stand -as ordered hoping we don’t get killed on the spot.

“I’ll let you two off with a perfectly good warning, since you are bellow 18. But if either of you do anything violated within the law again, I will have to arrest you. Understand?”

“Understand…,” Calix and I both say shyly. It makes sense now, why my parents didn’t get a warning like we did. They were over 18 years of age. And so they got arrested right away.

The Guard walks off harshly; leaving us to treat ourselves. I face Calic immediately and try to help with his bleeding; but there's not much I can do. I'm not a good doctor...or patient.

“I’m sorry…..” Calix drifts off. “About what I said to you; about having no place to go to. I didn’t mean it”

“I’m sure you meant it Calix; everyone does, because no one considers my old house as a home… Do you even know why I came to you in the first place?” I ask too loudly. He shakes his head and then I continue. “I needed dry wood for a fire. Thats all I wanted.” I end giving him a snide look.

“Well how come you didn’t just say that?’ Calix says impatiently, touching the spot in which his head bleeds.

“Because your parents were holding me up,” I say defending myself.                                                    

“Yeah they are known to do that…” he says quietly, so no one hears. He holds out his hand and the blood which lays there is plenty much. “Let’s go back to my house quick, my mother can bandage us up.” I follow him as he leads the way back to his house -though I know the way already. Once we get there just the first footstep in releases a sudden frantic mood. His mother aids to both Calix and I at the same time. I’m not nearly as hurt as Calix, but she treats me like I'm going to die within seconds.