1. The attack

It had been 5 years, since the last time Alec Lightwood had seen his family for the last time.

When he was 18, he decided to come out to his parents and tell them he was gay.

When they heard that, Alec's parents, Robert and Maryse Lightwood, screamed at him, insulting him for who he was.

"How dare you say something like that? You're a Lightwood! And you're not the one who's going to ruin the family's name! The Lightwood family is one of the best families in the Shadow World and you're not the one who's gonna ruin everything, because of this stupid thing of yours!" Had screamed Robert at Alec.

His mother, Maryse, only had looked at him and told him he had half an hour to take all his things and leave the Institute.

The Institute was where they were living. Alec's family, Robert, Maryse, Isabelle, Max and Alec's parabatai, Jace Lightwood, and Alec's friends, Simon and Clary.

Sometimes other families came to the Institute, such as the Penhallows and the Blackthorns; but almost all the time, they were only them.

When he left, he didn't have the time to see his siblings and friends for one last time. Robert and Maryse didn't let him. The only thing he had of them was a photo they had taken all together, the day they had gone to Luke's farm, near a lake.

Sometimes, Alec took the photo, looked at it and cried, remembering the good old days he had had with his family. He remembered how Jace had swum from one side to the other of the lake, because 2 ducks were following him.

He missed them so much. Or that was what he was letting himself believe. 

One thing Alec thought that was weird, was the fact that none of Alec's family had tried to contact, or text him. Not even Jace, and he was his parabatai. Alec felt that was weird.

After that, Alec lived alone, in a very small loft, with a living room, a tiny kitchen, a bathroom and a little bedroom with a bed, a closet and a window.

Alec had paid this loft, with the money he had gotten when he had sold some necklaces that had belonged to some parent, called Benedict Lightwood, who had existed a long time ago.

During these 5 years, he had continued battling demons and Downworlders who had broken the law or the Accords. His parents had made him lose contact with the Shadow World, so he no longer received demons attacks notifications.

He didn't know either what was currently happening in the Shadow World; he didn't receive notifications of anything.

Alec had tried to contact his family again or his friends in the Institute, but he stopped when he received a letter from his parents, where it was written: "Let us live alone. You're no longer part of the family."

That letter was in a drawer of Alec's night stand. Alec didn't know why he was keeping the letter.

Alec was currently in a mundane café, waiting for his black coffee. He had noticed how a girl behind him wasn't taking her green eyes off him. He wasn't glamoured, so the mundanes could see him, but that girl hadn't taken her eyes off him since he had entered the café.

She wasn't the first girl who stared at him and a lot of girls had tried to talk to him, but when Alec saw a girl walking to him, he glamoured himself and left.

The only thing he always had with him, obviously glamoured, was his bow and quiver, in case he had to fight against some demons or Downworlders who had broken the law or the Accords.

His bow and quiver were one of the few things he had taken with him when he had been thrown out of the Institute.

Clothes, some books, a few steles, his bow, quiver and arrows and the photo; these were the only things he had taken with him.