Chapter Seven

Tonight was the engagement ball for me and Christian's engagement. I was in my room with a bunch of people helping me get ready. Queen Annalise said they were my ladies in waiting, whatever that meant. They were doing my hair and makeup while preparing my dress and shoes. One I was ready, the had me wait in my room. The wanted me to have a big entrance. I opened the the door a crack and looked out. There were a lot of people already here. I looked around to see if my parents were here, but there were too many people to tell. If it was already clouded in the hallways, thee were probably a lot of people in the ballroom. How many people come to an engagement ball?

After about twenty minutes, they finally let me come out of my room. Everyone was out of the hallways at this point, and all in the ballroom. My ladies in waiting led me to two big wooden doors. These were the door that led int the ballroom. I heard the royal announcer (yes, that's what they called him) announce each member of the royal family. I heard applause after each member name was called.

"Thank you all for being here tonight. As we know, Christian has become engaged.Tonight, we are celebrating the engagement. You will be able to congratulate the two on their engagement, and you will have a chance to meet the soon to be queen." I heard the announcer say. "Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you Christians fiancé, Erika Marie Elswood." He said.

Music began to play, and the two big wooden doors opened. I started to walk down the stairs. Everyone was applauding. I looked around. The ballroom was packed. I don't know how anyone is going to be able to dance in here. I saw my parents in the front of the crowd. They had huge smiles on their faces and my mother had tears in her eyes. I gave them a smile back.

The walk down the stairs felt like forever. When I finally walked down all the stairs, I was greeted by Christian. He gave me a smile then held out his a for me to take. I entangled my arm with his, and we walked to the thrones. There were two big thrones for the king and queen, and two smaller thrones for the future queen and king (Christian and I). Music started to play, and everyone began dancing. The king and queen greeted guests while Christian and I stayed seated in our thrones.

I never thought that in a million years I would be the reason the royals threw a ball. Heck, I never thought I would ever sit in a royal thrown. Now both are happening, and I have to admit, it's kind of overwhelming. Christian put his hand on top of mine. "You look beautiful." he said, giving me a smile. I'm still trying to get used to that being a compliment. Usually when people said that, it was because they were being snotty or rude. "Thank you." I replied. Just then, my parents walked up to us. I practically jumped out of the throne, and gave them both huge hugs.

"Erika! We have missed you." my mother said. "Its only been one night." I told her. "I know, but it seemed very different without you." she responded. Christian got up from the throne, and stood next to me putting his hand on the small of my back. "Christian, these are my parents." I said. He shook both of their hands. "It's nice to meet you Mr and Mrs. Elswood." He said. "likewise." said my mother.

The greetings went on for another hour. People coming up to the prince and me to say congratulations. I would get the occasional jealous maiden whisper something like "you don't deserve him" or "you will never be a princess". It didn't really bother me, though, since I am so used to people picking on me back in the villages.

After greetings were over, a few people began to leave and go back home. The ballroom felt less claustrophobic. The actual ball wasn't over for about another hour.

"Care to dance?" Christian said to me after we were finished greeting people. He held out his hand, and I took it. He led me to the dance floor, and we began to dance. "So, how are you adjusting? He asked.

"Slowly. This is all so new to me."

"You'll get used to it pretty quickly. It's not as hard as you might think."

I just nodded my head, even though I didn't agree. It was the opposite of easy to change from a villager to a princess. He may think it's not that hard because he has never had to do it. He was raised a prince. From a very young age he has always known which fork to use for a salad, and the proper titles for people. I come from a place where we eat what we have with whatever utensil, and we just call people by their names. This transition was going to be anything but easy.

"Are you alright?" I heard Christian say. I must have been silent and distracted by my thoughts for him to say this. "Yeah, I'm fine." I told him. We danced and talked until the end if the ball. After it was over, I went back to my room to get some sleep. Tomorrow was going to be another long day.

Tomorrow, I start training to be a princess.