Chapter Four

"And, we are finished. You are all ready to got to the ball." said Catherine, the girl who had helped me get ready. She walked out of the room, and it was just my mother and me again.

"You look breathtaking!" she said. Most people would take that as a insult, but I took it as a compliment, considering we were going to a ball with the royals. "I better get going. No moms allowed at the ball. I will pick you up after the dance is over." she said. "Goodbye mom. Love you. I will see you after the ball." I told her. "Love you too." she said, then waved and walked out the door. I looked over at the clock on the wall. There were only ten minutes until the ball was going to start.

I looked out the window, and say that a bunch of royalty have already started to show up. Suddenly, my heart began to beat faster. What have I gotten myself into? I don't know what to do or say around royals.

I heard a knock on my door, and then it opened. "Erika, we are starting to get all of the girls lined up. Please follow me." said a girl, another worker. I followed her to yet another line. I was in the middle of the line, and everyone around me was talking to one another.

I just stood there awkwardly silent, since I didn't know anyone there. After about five minutes, I heard the king begin a speech.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you all for coming tonight to celebrate my son Christian's twenty second birthday." The people in the ballroom began to applaud. The king continued his speech, "As most of you may know, tonight we are looking for an eligible wife for Christian. We have females from every village here to see if any off them are possible suiters. Will you ladies please make your way down the stairs?"

The line began to move. Applause erupted from the crowd as each girl walked down the stairs. Pretty soon it was my turn to walk down the stairs. My heart felt like it was going 100 miles per hour. I began my walk down the stairs. I looked over towards the royal family and saw Christian smiling at me. I quickly looked away, and finished walking down the stairs with my eyes looking to the floor.

I stood by the rest of the girls once I had made my way down. It took about five more minutes before every girl had made it down the stairs. Music started to play, and everyone began dancing.

I didn't have anyone to dance with, so I walked over to the food they had set out, and started to put some on a plate. I ate my food, then just stood awkwardly while everyone danced.

"There you are!" I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned around, and saw Christian standing there. I tried to say something, but I just couldn't get the words out.

"I told you I would be looking for you." he said, a smile on his face. "You did." I finally managed to say. "Happy Birthday." I added, giving him a smile. "Thank you." he said, returning my smile with one of his own. Just then, a brunette walked right in front of me, pretending like I wasn't there. "Christian! Happy birthday! I am so happy that you invited me!" she said. "who are you?" he asked. The look on her face was priceless, I couldn't help but laugh.

"You don't actually know me, but I am one of the masked girls. My name is Sabrina. Would you care to dance?" she asked.

"Actually, I'm in the middle of talking to Erika, but thanks for asking, ummm..."

"Sabrina."

"Right, umm Sabrina."

Sabrina gave me a dirty look, then walked away. How did the prince remember my name? The last time I told him was this afternoon. He couldn't even remember Sabrina's name, and she told it to him just two minutes ago.

"So Erika, you want to dance?" said Christian. "Ummm I guess, but I'm not very good." I replied. "It's okay. It's easier than it looks." He said, then out his hand out. Hesitantly, I put my hand in his, and he led me to the dance floor.