Chapter Eleven

We had just finished breakfast and were on our way to the classroom, only this time it wasn't just me and Madame Ellie. Scarlett was coming with us. I was hoping she would change her mind about coming, but she didn't. She kept her word.

Once we got to the classroom I sat down at the desk. Madame Ellie pulled up two chairs and her and Scarlett sat on the opposite sides of the table.

"Alright today's lesson is manners." Said Madame Ellie. "Didn't we learn that yesterday?" I asked. "No, yesterday we learned rules. Today we will learn manners. There is a difference. For instance, it's not polite to interrupt someone." Madame Ellie.

"But I didn't interrupt you, I waited until you were finished talking." I said.

"You also don't talk back."

"How are you supposed to have a conversation without talking back?"

Scarlett cleared her throat and gave me a look of warning. She knew that Madame Ellie wasn't the nicest person ever I assume. "As I was saying, you do not interrupt people when they are speaking or talk back. You also do not argue with people."

"What if I don't agree with what they are saying?"

"Go along with it anyway. Difference of opinion is left to the kings to sort out." Scarlett said. "Very good Miss Scarlett." said Madame Ellie, giving her a smile of appreciation. "So is women can't disagree? How come?" I asked, curious.

"Ms. Elswood you ask too many questions." said Madame Ellie.

"How are you supposed to learn without asking questions?" I asked.

"Erika, I think it's best if you just sit back and listen, and if you have any questions you can ask me when we are done." said Scarlett giving me a smile.

Her words and smile said "I'm here to help you succeed!" but her eyed were saying something else, although I couldn't tell what it was.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. "Who could that be?" Said Madame Ellie, irritated. "Come in!" She yelled to the person on the other side. The door opened and a worker walked in.

"Pardon me for interrupting, but the queen has requested to see Erika." he said. Madame Ellie let out a sigh and had a look of frustration on her face. "If the queen insists." she said then put her hand out towards the door signaling that I could leave.

I got up from my chair and walked with the worker. "The queen is having tea with queen Josephine. They asked if you could join them. I guess the queen wants to introduce you properly or something like that." he said.

We walked out to the gardens. "They are having tea just around those trees over there." the boy said then left. I started for the trees when I heard voices talking.

"I just don't get it." said one of the voices. It sounded like Josephine. "Why would you let your son do this?" She asked. I thought about walking around and joining them like I was supposed to, but curiosity got the best of me. I hid behind the trees so I could listen in on their conversation. What did Christian do that was so surprising to Josephine?

"I mean she's a commoner." said Josephine. Were they talking about me? "That doesn't mean anything. I was a commoner before I married Marcus." said another voice. This voice sounded like it belongs to queen Annalise.

"Yes, but you were an upper class commoner. You can from wealth and money. This girl comes from your poorest village."

"It could be good to have her as a queen. After all, she does know what the people need."

"She also knows what they want. There is a big difference between want and need. Yes she would give them what they need, but she could also give them what they want. If the people think they can get what they want, they could try to get rid off a monarchy all together. They will get greedy. Do you want this to happen?"

"I'm sure Erika will know better than to do that. She is being trained by Madame Ellie to learn how to be and effective ruler. I was trained by Madame Ellie and I think I turned out to be just fine. Besides, the king is the one who makes all the decisions. A queens job is to make the king look good and desirable."

"I still don't like the idea."

"You just don't like the idea because my son is not marrying your daughter."

"Yes your right, I am mad about that. I recall you telling me when the kids were younger that they would grow up and be betrothed to one another."

Christian and Scarlett were supposed to be married to each other. That fact shouldn't really surprise me, but it does.

"They were young. Things change over time. Christian changed his mind."

"And since when do you let Christian decide?"

"Since he had become a responsible man! He is 22 after all! I think he is mature enough to make his own decisions, especially big decisions like this, and if you don't like it, then you can leave!"

I heard a chair get pulled out, and someone stood up. "Fine! But you are making a big mistake!" Said Josephine, then I heard footprints as she walked away. I hid in the trees so she wouldn't see me on her way out.

So not only did they come here because their castle was being repaired, but they came here to try to stop the wedding. It was obvious. Josephine can't stand the idea of a commoner becoming royalty.

This means that I am going to have to prove myself worthy.