Chapter Nine

I walked down the long, complicated hallways with Madame Ellie. She was giving me a tour of the palace, but I still had a hard time knowing where everything is. After about an hour, the tour was complete and Madame Ellie led me into a room. The room had a desk and a chalkboard. It looked much like a classroom, except for the fact that there was only one desk and the room was much more elaborate than any classroom. That was probably due to the fact that we were in a palace.

"Please, take a seat." Madame Ellie said as she pulled out one of the seats to the desk. I sat down in the seat, then Madame Ellie went to the other side of the table and took the other seat that was there. "Today we will be learning about the rules of the palace, and what is acceptable behavior." she said. I nodded my head showing her that I understood.

"That would be rule number one. Never answer with a head nod. It makes it seem like you do not care what the person is saying. Reply using your words to show you understand. Say rings like 'yes sir' or 'I understand Madame'. Always use your voice when showing you understand." She said. I began to nod my head, but then caught myself. "I understand Madame." I said.

"Rule number two: Always address royalty using there proper names. When referring to a prince or princess, you always use 'your highness'. When referring to a king or queen, you always use 'your majesty'. Never confuse the two. It is a sign of disrespect."

"Yes Madame."

"Rule number three: never talk back. That is also a sign of disrespect. That one is pretty self explanatory. Rule number four: Never leave the palace without a chaperone. You are going to be royalty soon. We can't have you wondering around outside without supervision. It's to dangerous and risky. Rule number five: You are to be in your room by 9:30 pm and you do not leave until you are woken up the next morning. Do you have any questions?" She asked.

"Yes I do Madame. What happens if I do not follow the rules?" I asked, curious. She gave me a dirty look. "If the rules are not followed consequences will be used." she said.

"What kinds of consequences?"

"Doing the maids chores, like cleaning the kitchen and scrubbing the floor. You could also be sent to your room for the night without any dinner."

She called those consequences? I did all that when I was living in my village. I was used to that. Still, I didn't want to test Madame Ellie. She seems very strict.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was 9:25 pm. I was in my room getting ready for bed. I put on a long, silky pink night gown and got into my bed. I blew out my bedside table that was providing light. I laid my head down on the soft, feathery pillow. This is how it must feel to sleep on a cloud.

I could feel myself drifting to sleep when I heard a faint knock on the door. I relit the candle and looked at the clock. It was 9:45 pm. Who could be knocking at my door at this hour? Maybe it was Madame Ellie checking up on me to make sure I was following the rules. If that was the case, do I answer the door? If I do, she may get mad that I opened the door for someone past 9:30, but if I don't she might think I am not on my room.

I decided to open the door and go for it. What could she do? She said I had to be in my room by 9:30, which I am. She said nothing about visitors. Besides, if she got mad, I could turn the tables on her. I would let her know that she was the one breaking the rule by being out of her room past half past nine. I opened the door, however I didn't see Madame Ellie.

Christian was standing on the other side of the door. "Christian? What are you doing here?" I asked him in a whisper. "I'm here to take you out." he replied in a voice just as soft of mine.

"Out? But it's past 9:30"

"So? Why let the rules stop you?"

"Because Madame Ellie isn't exactly the nicest person around. Besides, when we get caught, I have a feeling there will be a consequence."

"What do you mean when we get caught? I've lived in the palace with these rules all my life. Don't you think I know how to get around them by now without getting caught?"

I shrugged my shoulders in reply. "C'mon. We have hardly had any time to ourselves since we got here. This is the perfect opportunity. Everyone is asleep and know one can interrupt us." he said. He held out his hand. "Are you coming?"

Was I going? I trusted him, but what if we did get caught? Not only would Madame Ellie be mad about me being out of my room past 9:30, but she would also be mad about me sneaking out with the prince at such late hours. Was it really worth it?

I took Christian's hand. "Lead the way." I said, then we silently walked down the palace hallways, being careful not to get caught.