Chapter Two

It takes us a couple of hours to unload all the boxes and furniture. Our landlord helps us as well. I'm little disappointed when the U-Haul is finally empty; I no longer have an excuse to solicit Zion's help. As soon as my bed is put together, I start grabbing boxes with my name on them from the hallway. I get most of them unpacked and my bed made.
In the kitchen, I find Mom and Dad unloading dishes into the cabinets.  "Our house is so cool" Noah says. "And the neighborhood is really decent" my mom replies. "That's one good thing about Ottawa, I guess" I say.
"One good thing?" She winks at me as she leans across the bar; "I'd think that would be at least two good things"
I pretend I'm not following.
"I saw you talking to that boy today" she says with a smile. "Oh please Mom" I reply as indifferently as I can get away with. I open up a box of pizza in front of me and eye the selection.

       ....................................................

As I finish my slice of pizza and take another sip of the soda I go to my bedroom. It feels so good to crawl under the covers. My sheets and pillow are ice cold, so I pull the covers over my head to generate some heat. When I wake up, I grab a sweater out of my closet and throw it on over my pajamas while I search for socks. I quietly tiptoe down the hallway, trying to not wake anyone and head into the kitchen. I look around for the coffee pot but don't find it. I remember packing it in the Jeep, which is unfortunate since the Jeep is parked outside. Outside in this absurdly cold weather. I grab the keys and decide I'll just make a mad dash to the Jeep. I open the front door and some sort of white substance is all over the yard. Snow? Already?  I quickly drop the snow and dry my hands on my sweatshirt as I head the Jeep.
I don't make it far. The second those house shoes I'm still wearing meet the snow-dusted concrete. I'm no longer looking at the Jeep in front of me. I'm flat on my back, staring up at the clear blue sky. I feel the pain in my right shoulder and realize I've landed on something hard. I reach around and pull a concrete garden gnome out from beneath me, half of his red hat broken off and shattered into pieces. I groan and raise the gnome with my good arm and pull it back, preparing to chuck the thing, when someone stops me.
"That's not a good idea!"
I immediately recognize Zion's voice. The sound of it is smooth and soothing. I sit upright and see him waking up the driveway toward me.
"Are you okay though?" He laughs.
"I don't know I-" he interrupts me "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I wouldn't have laughed if I knew you were hurt."
I think he saw the blood on my shirt. He beds over and takes my uninjured arm and pulls me up. "You need to get a bandage on that. You'll have to walk with me. There's some in our kitchen"
He removes his jacket and warps it around my shoulders, holding on to my arm as he walks me across the street. I remove his jacket and lay it across the back of the couch , then follow him into the kitchen. It's all dark so I assume everyone is still asleep. Several family pictures hang along the wall opposite the kitchen. Most of them are of Zion and his little brother, with a few pictures that include his parents. I walk over to inspect the pictures while Zion looks for a bandage. They have gotten their genes from their dad. Zion's mother is breathtaking. She has blonde hair and looks tall.
I walk into the kitchen and take a seat at the bar.
"It needs to be cleaned before you put the bandage on it," he says as he rolls up his shirtsleeves and turns on the faucet. He opens a bandage as I sip the blood off the wound. "So what were you doing outside in your pajamas at seven o'clock in the morning?" he asks. "Are you still unloading?"
I shake my head and toss the napkin into the trash can. "Coffee"
"Oh, I guess you aren't a morning person." He says this as more of a statement than a question.
As he moves in closer to place the bandage on my shoulder, I feel his breath on my neck. I rub my arms to hide the child that are creeping up them. He adheres it to my shoulder and pats it.
"There, good as new" he giggles.
"Thanks, and I am a morning person. Just after I get my coffee" I say. 
I already thanked him. I could turn and walk out now, but that would seem rude after he just helped me. If I just stand here waiting on him to make more small talk, I might look stupid for not leaving.
I don't understand why I'm even contemplating basic actions around him. He's just another neighbor. When I turn around, he's at the counter, pouring a cup of coffee. He walks toward me and sets it on the bar in front of me. "You want cream or sugar?"
I shake my head. "Black is fine. Thank you"
He's leaning across the bar watching me as I drink the coffee. He smiles and breaks our gaze by looking down at his watch. "I need to go: Elom is waiting in the car, and I've got to get to work", he says. "I'll walk you back. You can keep the cup"
"I'll be okay," I say as I head toward the front door. He follows me outside and shuts his front door behind him, insisting I take his jacket with me. I pull it over my shoulder, thank him again, and head across the street.

.........................
I'm really excited for this fanfic! You're very welcomed to guess what's gonna happen next xD