01. A Cursed Day

Ariel's POV

Some people thrive for pain. They need it to survive. They need the little reminders in their everyday life to know that they are alive. Drinking too much on a Friday night and then waking up the next morning with a pounding headache or the growing amount of people harming themselves for one reason or another.

So maybe it's not so weird that here I am on a Thursday afternoon, in a seedy bar trying to drink away all my memories, the good and the bad.

As I order another shot of the most expensive liquor in this shitty bar, smiling as I think about all the drinking I can do and how I don't give a shit about all the money I am about to spend on my headache tomorrow.

March the 3rd.

It is the one day of the year where life decides to fuck up my life even more, for the past 10 years without fail something happens.

It all started when I was 18 and I met the love of my life, which sounds good right? You're wrong, he turned out to have a girlfriend which I only found out the following Valentine's day the next year when I saw them out together and her with an engagement ring on her finger.

I down the shot that is put in front of me and once again I start the torturous journey of reliving this painful day, every single painful second.

3rd of March 2006

I don't even know what to do with myself anymore, do I let him know that I know or do I give him a chance to explain why he had his arm around another girl who was wearing an engagement ring? I thought we were the ones that would last that long and head in that direction, I thought I would be the one wearing his ring.

Was I that naive to believe that a guy as perfect as him could fall for me?

I hear a knock on my door and I jump in my seat as my hands start shaking and heart is beating out of my chest, beating towards the man that is standing outside my door.

I quickly make my way to the door which doesn't take long since I live in a small apartment that is probably as big as someones bathroom. I open the door quickly before I lose my composure and can't help but smile as I am met with the smiling face of my boyfriend Xavier.

His smiling blue eyes and shaggy black hair, a striking combination that never fails to leave me breathless. "Hey babe, I got you some flowers." He greets me with a kiss and then the sweet aroma of red roses greets me as I look at the large bouquet in his hands.

With heavy hands I take it from him and turn to walk into the living room where I am silent as I replace the last batch of sunflowers he gave me a week ago.

I was in my own little world and didn't notice him sitting behind me on the sofa and a weird sound escapes my lips as his hands go to my hips and pull me down, back into his comfortable lap.

He doesn't have the most muscular body since he only started working out last year, a little after I met him but as his arms go around me and shield me in his false embrace I cannot bring myself to relax like always and he must have noticed because he starts placing kisses along my neck, which is something he does to calm me down or relax me.

"What did you do on Valentines day?" I ask before he can say or do anything else to distract me, I should have done this the moment I saw them but I was a wimp and waited 2 and a half weeks.

"I told you, I had to visit some family out of town but I'll make it up to you on our next date." He replies smoothly and if I had not seen them with my own eyes I would have believed him.

"We're not going to have another date, Xavier. " I said as a tear rolled down my face and the shock on his face seemed genuine.

Those were the last words I ever said to him, however, I'm not this fucked up because my first boyfriend cheated on me. It just kept happening year after year, first it was him and then the next year my great-grandmother died and the year after that my granddad as well; just year after year on this exact same date something bad happens to me.