NO DIVISIONS

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord

Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that

there be no divisions among you; but that ye be

perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the

same judgment."

(1 Corinthians 1:10)

Chapter 10

  We have touched on this subject many times now throughout the other chapters. I can not stress this enough. We are not supposed to have divisions within the body of Christ. "Is Christ divided?" (1 Corinthians 1:13 a) Absolutely not! How would that even make since?

  "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple." (Romans 16:17,18). As you can see, Paul did not take divisions lightly. If someone is preaching anything contrary to the Word of God we should avoid them. Be wise concerning the scriptures so that you will know who to avoid.

  The apostles had to deal with this same thing back in their days (2 Corinthians 11:13-15, 2 Peter 2:1-5, 1 John 4:1, Galatians 1:8,9...etc). Divisions are not a new thing. It has been a long running problem within Christianity. However, in the time of apostasy we are seeing division growing more and more.

  Some cause division because they hate the truth. So they wish to change the Word of truth. Some are just so stuck in their ways, that they refuse to admit they are wrong. Then some may not even understand that they are causing division by misinterpreting scripture. Either way that it is done, it is going against what the Bible says. We must always go by what the Bible says period and learn how to rightly divide the Word of truth.

  As Christians, there will be things we disagree on. Believe it or not, you can disagree on things without causing division. The one thing we must all stand firm on is the gospel of salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). However, there are other doctrines that the Bible considers "sound doctrine". These are doctrines that all Christians should know and understand as long as they are growing in Christ. If someone disagrees with you on any other doctrine other than the gospel, should you allow it to cause strife? The answer is no!

  "For ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28 b). Why is there so many denominations in Christianity if we are to be one in Christ Jesus? Why is there so many different teachings on salvation, when the Bible plainly tells us "The just shall live by faith" (Habakkuk 2:4, Hebrews 10:38)? The sad truth is, if every Christian would go by the scriptures there would be no divisions.

  Divisions are also very taxing on true believers as well. Imagine as a true believer that you had two family members that were in two totally different denominations that did not agree with the Bible and did not agree with each other. That would make for awkward family outings, wouldn't it? Divisions are not good at all for believers. I can not tell you how many times as a child, I would go to a church and the entire sermon was just the pastor talking bad about another denomination. I do believe any denomination preaching a false gospel should be called out on it but edifying has to come first. It is by far what is most important.

  The scriptures are not for private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20). If everyone would keep this in mind and come together to study the Word, there would be a lot less division. However, Satan is as sly as he ever was, working divisions into the body of Christ.

  Divisions lead to cults. So many cults throughout history started because one man or woman interpreted the Bible however they wanted and started new doctrine. Remember, the apostle Paul said that in the last days people will fall away from sound doctrine. Once they have their new doctrine, they cause a division and take many people that do not know their Bible with them. Those deceived people then end up following a man or woman instead of the Word of God. The best way to serve God is by following the Bible, not man.

  First we had divisions by denominations. Now in this current age of apostasy, we have divisions within each denomination. Even within the same church (building) a lot of times. Jesus and the apostles hit the nail on the head with how it would be in the end times. In my personal opinion, we are coming to the end of the age of grace. To the end of the second prophetic day of Hosea and the end of the sixth prophetic day of the creation prophecy.

  Lets talk doctrine divisions for a moment. We have the division on "once saved, always saved". I do believe once you are saved, you are always saved because the Bible does teach it (Romans 8:35-39, 2 Corinthians 1:21,22, Ephesians 1:13,14, Romans 7:14-25, 2 Timothy 2:13). Notice in Ephesians 1:13,14 that once we are sealed we become a purchased possession through God's own blood (Acts 20:28). We are sealed once we believe and stay sealed until the day of redemption. However, we still should not be angry with a brother or sister that does not understand this.

  Another division in doctrine is the rapture. I have touched on this and you know where I stand. Why in the world is this subject such a huge topic of contention among Christians? In my experience, those who do not believe in the pre-tribulation rapture get so angry with those who do. Where is that anger coming from? They try to say that pre-tribulation believers are setting themselves up to accept antichrist. Pre-tribulation believers know that the antichrist comes before Jesus sets foot on earth again. The only way to be deceived is if you are ignorant to the scriptures. The rapture will be for those that are in Christ, meeting Him in the clouds. How will we be tricked by antichrist then?

  There is also the division among Christians about Jesus being God. I will cover this subject more in detail in chapter 12. Just know however, that He absolutely is.

  To be divided is to be weak. Christians should not be weak. Look back in history at the bravery of past brothers and sisters in Christ as they were being martyred left and right. They were brave and they stood united on the true Word of God. It was some of the most horrible murders in history. Yet, they did not back down. They did not fight with weapons or fists. They fought with longsuffering and trust in God. Non believers may think that is just crazy but the Word of God still goes on nearly two thousand years later. God bless those brothers and sisters that stood united as one body, that has gone on to glory.

  To all my brothers and sisters in Christ, it is OK if you disagree with me on any other doctrine that does not involve our salvation. There is no need for anger and strife. Stand in the gospel and have longsuffering with those who do not understand. Remember, all will be revealed to us in the end.