A FORM OF GODLINESS

"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:

from such turn away."

(2 Timothy 3:5)

Chapter 5

  There is a trend in today's time that instead of going to church, people watch sermons or studies online. There is nothing wrong with that other than the fact it is easy access to false doctrines. If you can not discern the truth from the lies, you could be swept away with every wind of doctrine out there. There are some great online teachers and preachers that are true Bible-believers. As a matter of fact, I myself was led to understanding my salvation by watching brother Robert Breaker's online Bible studies. Dr. Gene Kim, Pastor Charles Lawson, and Pastor Tim Henderson have also been a great blessing from God. However, when I first started studying God's Word, online is where I was first led astray. I was heaping up teachers that were saying things that I thought instead of what the Bible said. "What does the Bible say, my friend?" (Pastor Charles Lawson). This message needs to ring through the ears of everyone looking for the grace of God. What does the Bible say?

  God has always been against false teachers and prophets. "And Mine hand shall be upon the prophets that see vanity, and that divine lies: they shall not be in the assembly of my people, neither shall they be written in writing of the house of Israel, neither shall they enter into the land of Israel; and ye shall know that I am the Lord God." (Ezekiel 13:9). God's feelings on this did not change in the new testament.

  There is a great many in this world that have a form of godliness but do not even believe God has the power to preserve His Word. Are you serious? You believe in the Almighty God that delivered the Israelites out of the bondage of Egypt, parted the Red Sea, smote all armies that stood before Israel, but you do not believe He could out smart man by keeping His Word preserved throughout time? Sounds like you may be denying the power thereof.

  Note that Paul is referring to end times in 2 Timothy 3:5. He wrote that it will be perilous times (2 Timothy 3:1). "For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, truce-breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;" (2 Timothy 3:2-4) The world has always been this way. Today the church is becoming this way. Check the list and know it is true. The church is following after the world. They have a form of godliness but are denying the power thereof.

  "And their word will eat as doth a canker." (2 Timothy 2:17 a). Following after lies of man is no small matter. It will eat at your soul until you find yourself out of the faith. "Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines." (Hebrews 13:9a).

  "There is a way which seemeth right unto man, but the end thereof are the ways of death" (Proverbs 14:12). Even though something may seem godly, does not mean it will keep you from the second death that is the lake of fire.

  The gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16). So if you deny the gospel of 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, you are also denying the power thereof. The power of God is all over the gospel. Why would you not want to acknowledge that power? Stand in the gospel, the power of God.

  There is a major misconception in this time of apostasy. People believe that if a pastor or teacher is very popular, they must be right. "Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets." (Luke 6:26). This is unfortunate but if you speak the truth of God's Word, many will hate you. So if they are popular in the world, are they really speaking God's Word? Be careful of the popular preachers and teachers. Test what they say with scripture.

  Be careful always, no matter how godly a person may appear. If they deny the power thereof: They are the sort to creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth (2 Timothy 3:6,7).

  We are warned in Acts 20:29,30 about grievous wolves that would enter in among us and not spare the flock. Paul warned that some that even called themselves Christians would arise, speaking perverse things, and would draw away disciples after them. Look throughout history. This has happened so many times. That is where so many denominations have come from. Those that have done this have a form of godliness and can easily beguile others that do not know the scriptures.

  We are supposed to try every spirit to see whether they are from God (1 John 4:1). Yet, Christians today just take every man at his word, with no questions asked. How do you know that man is not directly or indirectly deceiving you? Do not let their godly appearance throw you off. Try them! Test them! All the apostles warned about this exact thing. "For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ." (Jude 1:4). Here Jude was warning about men that appeared to have a form of godliness to get in the church, then they began to pervert the grace of God.

  Remember, Satan himself can transform into an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14). Just because something appears good does not mean it is. Just like the Co-exist movement. It does indeed appear good on the surface, with the promise of peace and unity. Just like God did not want Israel to mingle with the other nations in the old testament, He does not want Christians to mingle with worldly religions. Co-exist is not good! "There is none good but one, that is, God." (Mark 10:18 b).

  The truth is Jesus Christ and His shed blood for our sins on the cross of Calvary. He rose on the third day that we may be justified through His righteousness. It is in fact a free gift just as the Bible tells us. You do not have to work for a free gift. It is free! Let no one that has a form of godliness but denies the power thereof tell you any different. Do not take my word for it. Check the scriptures and see for yourself.

  Stay far away from those with a form of godliness but deny the power thereof. If they will not take heed what the Word says, we are not to be of them. Come to Christ because He is the only way. There is no need to search Him out. He is always waiting close to you, for you to put your trust in Him. He is merciful and quick to forgive.